Monday, July 29, 2019

Gen 1.4 Contentment

 Amanda Banks grew up as the only daughter of a wealthy family. They had pinned all their hopes and dreams on her and planned on having her carry on their line, though it would be unconventional. Her mother made sure she was trained in all the finer things such as reading, painting, sewing, cooking and playing the piano. Though it really was just a practicality, they had servants to take care of most things.

 Amanda had always wanted to do something a little more exciting with her life than be a play thing for some wealthy man. She wanted adventure. She wanted to do the things she wanted to do. She loved inventing new things. Maybe someday, she could be a famous inventor.

Her long time best friend Silas always believed in her and encouraged her dreams. He was the one who helped her with woodworking and experimenting with potions. He would sneak out with her and teach her what he knew. In return, she would give Silas painting lessons, as he really enjoyed them.

Though Silas wasn't wealthy, his father was a part of her family's personal security, and he was a frequent fixture around the house. Andi wished she could just marry Silas instead. In fact she planned to. Her mother would be furious if she brought up the idea, but she knew her father would approve. He liked Silas.

She was afraid of marrying anyone else. There was the son of a wealthy duke they wanted her to marry, and Amanda was quite frightened of him. Something about him made her uneasy. She needed to enact her plan as soon as she could. She refused to get stuck in an unhappy marriage!

 "How are you doing today Andi?" Silas asked as he sat down next to her. He was anxious. She kept mentioning that she was going to ask for her parents' approval to marry him. He wanted to marry her very badly, but he knew it wouldn't end well.

"Today is the day. I'm going to do it Silas. After today, we'll be free to do whatever we want. I won't be married to someone horrible, I'll be married to someone who makes me feel safe, someone who really loves me."

He rung his hands together nervously. He did love her, he had since they were children. He went from being in awe of her and frightened to approach her to forming a very strong bond. Of course, that was all because of Andi. She approached him and asked him to play in the gardens. The two had been inseparable ever since. Staying up late nights talking about their hopes and dreams. They also got in their fair share of mischief much to both of their parents' dismay.

 "Andi, think about it. Wouldn't it be better if I went with you, or I at least approached them first? What will they think of me when I'm not even there to ask for your hand."

"I can handle myself. This is my decision. Well, yours too since you'd be marrying me, but I think it will go better if I approach them first. I can try and reason with them."

"What if it doesn't work. I can't stand to think of you leaving here and marrying someone else."

Andi suddenly burst into tears.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry. What kind of husband will I be if I make you cry?"

Andi sniffled, "I'm not crying because I'm angry with you. I'm crying because I'm scared to leave you too. I love you so much. You'll be an excellent husband, and my parents will have to believe me. I know you doubt them, so I'll have to have enough confidence for the both of us."

He smiled and squeezed her hand, "You've always been the braver one out of the two of us."

"You're brave too, but thank you."

Andi squared her shoulders, and walked downstairs to face her parents.

As she walked, she remembered her first kiss. She and Silas were strolling hand and hand, nothing unusual about that, through her house. Ever since they had grown older, she had become sort of a mess around him. Anytime she had a crush on someone, she would turn into a shy, giggly mess. It was different with Silas, though. She already knew him, already loved him. It was more than just a crush, but it didn't stop her from acting just as silly around someone she had known for years.

She was shocked when he turned around and kissed her, still gently grasping her hand. He had been speaking the truth when he said she was the bolder of the two. He wasn't always great around people, but Andi was always there to smooth things over. This time, though, he was the bold one.

She had absolutely no complaints, as she had been wanting to kiss him for a very long time. Ever since that day, she had known she couldn't marry anyone else. He was the only one for her.

All too soon, she was at the front room facing her parents. She began to get a little nervous. What if Silas was right? What if they wouldn't let the two of them wed?

"Hello, Andi, darling, what can we do for you," her father asked smiling up at her.

"Amanda, don't you have piano lessons," her mother cut in sounding bored. Her mother hated her father's nickname for her, though Andi liked it. Andi was better than Amanda.

"I've come to speak with you about something. About marriage."

"Ah, yes. You'll be seeing the duke's son again soon, we just have to arrange a time. Now go on, so you won't be late for your lessons."

"No," she shouted and then composed herself, "I don't want to marry him. I want to marry Silas."

"Silas," her mother snorted, "is hardly a good match for you. I told you we should have never encouraged a friendship between the two of them. Things like this always happen."

"Now I don't think Silas would be the worst match," her father said, "We did grant his father land when he became a part of our security detail, which Silas will inherit. I see nothing wrong with considering the match."

Andi held her breath. Would her mother listen to her father?

"No, absolutely not. If Amanda marries Lord William, she will have a title, land, secure an alliance between our two families. Can Silas offer that? I think not."

"I want to marry for love, not land, not a title! I certainly don't want to marry Lord William. He frightens me," Andi cried.

"You can't afford the luxury of marrying for love. Maybe if we had, had a son. As for Lord William scaring you, you're just making excuses. He seems like a perfectly lovely young man."

"He isn't. He's terrifying! Silas is a perfectly lovely young man, not him."

"I think we should at least consider the match," her father said again.

"No, we will do no such thing. All you're doing is confusing her. You are marrying Lord William, and that is final."

"It is not! I won't marry him. I refuse. You'll have to drag me there screaming. You don't want that to ruin our precious family image do you?"

Her mother waved a hand at her, "When it comes down to it, every time you act like this you never follow through. You are stubborn, and strong-willed, but it is all just talk. Now go. I can't be in your presence any longer."

Andi stomped up the stairs. This had not gone as she had planned. Maybe if she could talk to her father alone, he could be reasoned with. One thing was for sure, she was not making idol threats. She was marrying Silas or no one at all. Marrying someone else just seemed so fundamentally wrong to her, down to the very core of her being.

Andi buried her head in her hands trying to come up with her next idea. She wasn't giving up that easily. She felt the rustle of someone sitting beside her. She didn't need to look up to know it was Silas.

"I take it things didn't go as planned."

"That's putting it mildly. I was able to get through to my father, like I thought. Of course,  you know my mother, though, she's dead set on me marrying the duke's son. She calls me stubborn, she should look at herself in a mirror."

"Andi, maybe this won't work out."

"Don't say that. I'll find a way. Just give me time to think."

"I don't want to you to hurt even more. They'll make me leave, my family leave, if the realize that what has gone on between us."

"Then, if they ask  you, lie. Tell them it was all my silly idea."

"I can't lie about my feelings for you."

She jumped up grabbing him by the shoulders. "Run away with me."

Silas looked at her startled, "What?"

"Let's run away together. I don't care where, just as long as it's far away from here."

"A-are you serious."

"Yes, but if we do this, we won't have much time. Let's hurry and pack. Be very careful when you go past the front room, so my parents won't see you. Then knock on my door. We can sneak out my window like we do when you give me lessons. You will come with me won't you?"

"Wherever you go, I'll follow you. This won't be easy, you know."

"I know, but I don't care. I just want to be with you."

"I love you Andi. I promise I'll prove that I'm worthy of your love."

She pulled him into a kiss. "You don't have anything to prove."

Silas was right, it wasn't easy. The traveling was rough. They didn't pack enough food along the way and had to scrounge up whatever they could find to eat. Her parents had sent people off after her. Their were several days of hiding and waiting.

Finally, they reached a desert town far enough away where no one could find them. With the money Silas had, combined with the money they made off of pawning some of Andi's possessions, they were able to gather enough money for a small plot of land, and a house just big enough for the two of them, along with Andi's cats. Travelling with cats complicated things in a whole other way, but they were here now.

"Silas, it's beautiful!"

He raised an eyebrow at her with amusement, "It's just an old shack."

"Yes, but it's our old shack. That makes it wonderful."

He smiled, "I suppose it does."

Nervously, he got down on one knee.

"The entire reason we ran away was so we could get married, so I want to give you this ring. I know we don't have anyone or anyway to make it official, but still I want you to feel as if we were really married. Hopefully this ring will help you with that."

"It's so lovely! How did you keep it safe all this time?"

"It was the one thing I wasn't willing to sell. I want you to have it, as my wife."

"Yes, Silas, of course yes! In my heart of hearts, I would have never needed a ring, but thank you so much for giving me one. It means a lot to me."

"You mean a lot to me. I knew a ring would make you happy. Plus, as odd as it sounds, I've been thinking of what my wedding would be like for a while, and I wanted to have a proper one with you. Now, if you want to change, you definitely don't have to, and meet me out back, I have one more surprise."

"Another surprise? I don't know if I could handle anymore."

Soon both Andi and Silas had changed into more formal clothes, and stood beneath a wooden wedding arch, adorned with flowers.

"You got all of this for us?"

"Yes, I didn't think it'd be a proper wedding without it."

"Oh Silas, I didn't need all this, just being with you is enough. Being able to live out my life with you is more than I could have ever wanted."

"Well, I'm glad you think that, but is it okay if we live out my dream wedding."

Andi stroked his cheek, tucking some of his hair behind his ear. "It's more than okay."

"Amanda Banks, and I promise this will be the only time I call you Amanda since I know how much you hate it, I have been in love with you for so long. You are the most incredible person I've ever met. Your passionate, and so kind. You're strong and confident, and you never let anyone get in the way of your dreams. Just knowing you has been enough to inspire me to not give up. You've helped me feel like I'm worthy, like I'm enough. I can't tell you how much that has meant to me over the years. How much your friendship has meant to me."

Andi took off her ring, and slid it on to his finger. It vaguely fit, and she could put it on later. All she knew is that for his dream wedding, Silas should have a ring too.

"Silas Echo, thank you for being my best friend, my partner in crime. Thank you for believing in me when no one else did. I don't know what I did to deserve a friend like you, a partner like you. I definitely don't deserve all the praises. With you I feel safe. I feel happy. I'm not afraid of what my future will hold because I know we will get through whatever life throws at us as long as we're together. You are worthy and you are enough. You deserve all the love and happiness that life can give you. I'm glad I can be a part of that happiness by giving you the wedding of your dreams."

"With that being said, I pronounce us joined in marriage."

Silas looked at her with the widest smile, "I'm pretty sure that's not how that works, but who am I to argue with you?"

He pulled her in for a long kiss.

"With this being our wedding, I figured I should carry you into the house all proper and bridal like."

"What's next on our wedding adventure."

"I think you know. That is as long as you're okay with it."

"I'm more than okay. It's been hard to be a proper lady, let me tell  you."


"Are you sure you're ready," he asked staring down at her. He could see the love in her eyes, but he was still nervous.

"I'm sure I'm ready. Are you? We can always wait if you want to. Just because this is how weddings normally go doesn't mean you have to," she said softly.

"I'm ready. Just a little nervous."

"I'm a little nervous too. We can be nervous together. After all, it's something we've never done before."


Andi giggled taking his hand, "Are you still nervous?"

"Not anymore."

He impulsively reached over and tickled her.

"Stop," Andi shrieked with laughter, "You know I'm ticklish."

Later on, Andi leaned over and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "I love you."

"And I love you. Thank you for indulging me."

"Of course! What kind of wife would I be if I didn't let you have the wedding of your dreams. Just because I never much cared for fantasizing about one, doesn't mean the fact that you did isn't important. I want you to be happy."

"I am happy. Happier than I ever thought possible."

"Good. I'm happy too."

"Good night, Silas. I love you."

"Good night. I love you too."

The both woke up early the next morning with sunlight streaming in through the window above their bed. It was time to get a start on the day, and what would now be the rest of their lives.

Silas became a farmer, as he thought it would be the sensible thing to do. They needed food, and he could sell their crops for money too. With the warm climate, they should be set all year long.

Andi decided to work at a local inn, serving drinks and cooking meals. It turns out those cooking lessons her mother had forced her into came in handy after all.

One night, as the cooked their dinner over the fire, Silas turned to look at her. He asked her the question he had been putting off for so long because he dreaded hearing the answer.

"Do you miss it? You know living in a fancy house. Not having to work yourself to exhaustion everyday? Your parents?" He said that last part more quietly.

Andi cocked her head at him, "You know, surprisingly I don't. I do miss my father, but I'd like to think he knows what went on and knows I'm happy and safe with you. Aside from that, I like it here. I feel free. Did you think I would say yes? That I'd go running back to them?"

"Deep down I knew you wouldn't. I just know this isn't the life you were expecting."

"It isn't, but it's better."

Silas went fishing, trying to ignore the other thing that had been weighing on his mind. Something about all of this seemed familiar to him. Being with Andi, their life getting off to a complicated start. It's like it had happened before, like they were in some kind of cycle, though he had a feeling that this time, things were going better than before. He didn't know why he kept having these thoughts. Was he going crazy?

As he lay in bed that night, holding Andi close to him, he decided to ask her.

"Do you ever feel like we've done this before?"

"Done what? Fallen asleep together? Because yes, I'm pretty sure we've been doing this for months."

"No, not so literally. I meant, do you feel like we've been here before. Like we've lived this life before, or something similar?"

Andi shook her head sleepily, "No I don't think so. If we have lived this life before, then I'm glad. That means we've gotten to be happy in every lifetime. You know what, I bet we have. I'm pretty sure you're my soulmate."

Her last words slurred together groggily as she fell asleep.

"I think you're my soulmate too."

Just because Andi and Silas were working hard managing to stay afloat didn't mean they didn't have time for hobbies. Andi took up woodworking again. Now that no one was telling her what to do, she could occupy her time however she pleased.

Silas continued his painting, though he didn't think he was very good at it. It helped his emotions, though. Painting was relaxing, and whatever anxieties were on his mind seemed to fade away as he touched his brush to the canvas.

Andi, of course, thought his paintings were wonderful. She hung up his paintings all over the house, so she could always see them. They made her smile.

One day, Andi woke up feeling not quite like herself. She felt achy and sick. This feeling lasted for more than just a day. She started feeling a little worried. Before, she would have had a doctor on call to check on her. Out here, the nearest doctor was quite far away.

She tried to get through her days as best she could. She didn't want to worry Silas too much. She knew he was still afraid that something would happen to her now that she gave up her old life to be with him.

Silas continued to expand their garden. He found that being out among the plants was another thing that soothed his mind. Even though he was so full of worry, he was happy out here. It wasn't like the worrying was anything new anyway. It had seemed to be a condition he had, had ever since he was a child.

His worry turned to full blown panic, however, when cooking dinner one night turned into a raging fire. He had decided to cook as he had noticed Andi hadn't been feeling well, and now he was really starting to regret that idea. He and Andi, ran to safety and waited for the fire to die out.

Later that night, he worked on the laundry as sort of an apology for starting the fire, even though Andi insisted he didn't have anything to apologize for. It was an accident, and she could have just have easily started it herself.

He was interrupted by the sound of Andi's voice.

"Silas, I have something I need to tell you."

"What's wrong?"

"Well, nothing is wrong, exactly. I think I've figured out why I've been so sick lately. I'm pregnant."

"Andi that's fantastic news! I can't believe I'm going to be a father. You're going to be a mother."

"I'm a littler nervous. Do you think I'll be a better mother than mine was?"

"I know you will. You're the most loving and compassionate person I know."

He pulled her into a tight embrace. "I'm so happy to be starting a family with you."

"I am too, and I think you're right. Maybe I can do an okay job at being a mother."

"You'll do more than okay. Our child will never lack for love."

Things seemed to be going well for Andi and Silas. Much better than they would ever truly know.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, yay, they are together and doing well. Very happy for these two! Hope to see a baby soon. :)

    ReplyDelete