Friday, July 26, 2019

Gen 1.3: Protected

A few weeks earlier...

Silas lay on his bed groaning in frustration. He had completely screwed things up as usual. This was why he didn't talk to people or make friends or well anything else like that.

It wasn't that he didn't have feelings for Andi. He did. He cared about her a lot, probably more than he should. When he found out she had feelings for him in return, he freaked out.

Ever since Andi had arrived, he had been having memories, if he could even call them that. It was more like several different lives. Several different times that he had met Andi. He wasn't sure which was real and which was not. Did all of these things really happen? Had he really encountered her that many times? If so, why did he remember, but she didn't?

It seemed that every time he and Andi met, in almost every different possible universe, things ended badly. He could remember meeting her as a child. They became best friends, but it didn't last long. As soon as Andi's parents had discovered who his father was, a monstrous man in that reality, they moved away. He had also died trying to protect her, and he had watched her die of illness. He had watched her marry and start a family with someone else.

There were a few happy realities. Ones where they had been left alone to live average, happy lives. Ones that despite the struggles, they ended up together. He wondered what the chances of that happening here was. It didn't seem to be a very good chance. Especially since he completed made a mess of everything. Maybe it was for the best. At least this way, Andi would be alive.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Part of him hoped it was Andi, and part of him hoped it wasn't. He wasn't sure if he was ready to see her again after what a colossal embarrassment he was earlier.

When he opened the door, it was Silence, one of the other vampires and a member of the council. All the council had decided to give themselves mysterious names, which he thought was rather ridiculous.

"Oh, it's you."

"Expecting someone else?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

"No but whenever you come around, you always have something annoying you want. Usually to ask me to join the council. The answer is still no by the way."

"Is that any way to talk to your superior?"

He clutched his stomach laughing, "Yeah, superior. You're younger than I am."

"Older doesn't mean wiser, and you my friend have been making some pretty poor decisions lately."

"First of all, we aren't friends and never will be. Second, care to enlighten me on these oh so poor decisions I've made?"

She looked at him gravely serious and mock sympathy in her eyes. Whatever he had done, she was going to pretend like she really cared. He knew her routine. She didn't give a crap about him, but she was always trying to manipulate him. He clutched his hands together pretending to be worried. He'd play along, for now.

"Silas, I wouldn't accuse you of something if I did not know for certain it was true, but I have seen it with my own eyes. You have been socializing with humans and bringing them back to the Hollow. Threatening our very existence!"

"Seriously? I don't want anything to do with humans, or anyone for that matter."

"I saw you speaking with a woman in the graveyard, and I have seen her over at  your house more than once."

So she knew about Andi. True there was a rule that humans weren't supposed to be in Forgotten Hollow. Usually the just fed on the ones that happen to wander in on their own, though he knew some vampires brought them back for more recreational purposes.

He laughed, "Really, that's all."

"You aren't taking this seriously."

"I just tried to figure out what she was doing on my property. Then I fed on her and sent her away. Also, I don't know what you think you saw, but she was never at my house."

"Really? I have a picture of her on your doorstep."

"Hey if she came back, that's her problem. I never even saw her."

Silence snapped, "You really expect me to believe your lies. You do not feed on humans. You never have for some reason I cannot fathom."

"Yeah, well maybe I wanted to try."

"You let her into this home. Into our sanctuary. She is a risk to our entire species."

"I really doubt that," Silas responded rolling his eyes, "You're blowing this way out of proportion."

"Am I? What if she tells her friends. What if she alerts the police next time a human goes missing or shows up with mysterious bite marks on their neck."

"Maybe you should be better at covering your tracks? That kind of sounds like a personal problem."

"You have always been a model citizen. I was going to give you a chance to explain yourself."

"I did. I fed on her and sent her on her way. I haven't seen her since."

"You are lying, and I know it. Why are you protecting her?"

"I'm not protecting anyone. Jeez you're really paranoid."

"Well if you do not care about her, I will just have to go and kill her. We cannot have the secret of our location getting out."

Silas froze, his chest and throat tightening. Silence wouldn't really kill Andi would she? He always knew the council was kind of messed up, but this was way too extreme even for them, wasn't it?

"The look on your face tells me all I need to know. I will take care of this little problem, and it will stay between the two of us. I have always had your best interests at heart. No need to let the council know."

"For the last time, I don't care about her, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't know anything. You really thinking killing a human is necessary?"

"Yes, I do."

"What the hell? You're sick and twisted, you know that. What will the rest of the council think. I'll report you."

"Oh, they'll thank me. In fact, it was their idea."

"I'm not going to let you get away with this."

"You will not have a choice," she said, as she cast a mind control spell over him.

She stormed out of the house.

"Now I just need to figure out the perfect time to strike."

Silence let some weeks pass. If the girl did not see Silas anymore, she would be lulled into a fake sense of complacency. She would believe he did not care, and she would think she would never see a vampire again. Peering through the window to make sure the girl was in fact home, she opened the door and waltzed in. This would be fun. She had not gotten a chance to drain someone in such a long time.

Andi was staring blankly at the chessboard trying to distract herself. Now that Silas was no longer around, she was bored out of her mind. No, she shouldn't think about him at all. No mentioning or even thinking that name. She scowled at herself.

She was jarred out of her thoughts as she heard her front door open. A strange looking woman burst into her house and sat down across from her.

"Uh, how are you, and how did you get in here? I'm positive I locked the door."

"Locks are no match for me, foolish human."

"Up now," she growled yanking Andi into a standing position.

Andi tried to push her off, but she was too strong, "What are you doing. Get out of here!"

She tried to bolt to the door and run to the cops.

Andi found that she couldn't move. A strange sensation washed over her mind. She would just stand here and let the woman drink some of her blood. Yes, that seemed like a nice idea.


"Oh dear. Did I drink too much?"

Andi fell to the ground, slipping away.

"Now my job is done. Pity, I wish I could have enjoyed it longer."

Silas was able to break free of Silence's mind control after she left the Hollow. It weakened just enough for him to snap out of it and do something.

He was too late though, when he ran through Andi's now open door, he found her laying on the ground bleeding out. She was going to die, and he was too late to stop it. It was all his fault. He should have left her alone. Then she would've been safe.

"Please, you can't die. Not like this. You deserve better, so much better. I love you Andi. I don't know if you can hear me, and I don't know if it matters, but I love you so much."'

He closed his eyes and tried to picture a solution. He tried to think of the best reality he could remember for the two of them and pictured them there.

"If there's anyone who can hear me, anyone at all. Please get us out of here. Let us live a happy life together. If you can't give us that, just let Andi live."

Meanwhile...

"Death is an idiot."

"Why do you say that, my sister."

"You will see. I have invited him over to share the news, though I am sure he already knows."

"Why hello old friend."

Death sighed, "Why have you called me here."

"Oh, just to point out how horribly wrong resetting the timeline went, just like a told you."

The middle fate laughed, "Did the human he begged us for die again? This is too rich. It has barely been year."

"Yes, yes," the fate on the right said, "Once again, Amanda Banks has died."

"Not only has she died, but she met up with one of his other little pets again, Silas. Last time he was the first one to die, and this time it was her. Are you starting to understand why caring about mortals is a waste of time? No matter what you do, they will always die. Especially this one, she dies so often."

Grim smiled, though they could not see it through his hood, "No actually. I have realized how wrong it is to trust mortal's lives to you. You were never going to give her a fair chance, so she is my responsibility now. I marked her. I will look after her, and her future descendants because clearly you have done a poor job."

"You, you cannot do that. They are all under our control," the fate on the right sputtered.

"He can actually, though I do not know why he would want to. Mortals are so terribly boring," the fate on the left said, "He has not chosen a family to take care of for quite a while now. What has it been several millennia?"

"It has been five," Death answered.

"Get out of my sight, and get out of our realm," the fate on the right shrieked, "I never want to see  you hear again."

"Don't worry, you won't. Thank you for allowing me to care for her. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to make amends."

The reaper had heard Silas's pleas. He and Andi would be moved to somewhere better, hopefully somewhere that all bad things will cease happening to them, now that he was in charge.

1 comment:

  1. Well that went....somehow even worse, than I expected it to. It's a good thing death marked her. Hopefully they can be happy in their new place together.

    ReplyDelete