Friday, June 18, 2021

Drabble Thing

 


“So, uh you’re all settled in,” Silas mumbled holding onto the chain of the swings. They didn’t really want to leave, but it was kind of weird to keep standing there. It wasn’t like Andi needed help using a swing. She was a grown woman.

“Yep, sure am,” Andi trailed off, looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

Something about this moment felt all too familiar to both of them.


Silas stood there, still not sure what to do, using the chains of the swing to steady themselves.

Impulsively they leaned down and lightly tilted Andi’s chin up, her lips just inches from their own. Hastily, though, Silas pulled away.

“So…uh…yeah…I’ll be seeing you…”

They didn’t manage to get away fast enough before hearing Andi’s voice cut through the air.

“Wait, don’t go.”


Against their better judgement, Silas turned around. She didn’t sound mad, at least they didn’t think so, she sounded almost hopeful. That didn’t seem quite right.

They clutched their hands together nervously, “I’m sorry, y'know, about before.”

“About what? Almost kissing me?”

“I…no I wasn’t trying to…I mean…”

“Because you can if you want to,” she said, her voice soft.

“Really?”

Andi wanted to kiss them of all people? Silas had absolutely no experience at all in the romance department. Any feelings they had were pretty easy to just block from their mind, except sometimes, when it came to her they allowed them. Just little secret thoughts and hopes.

They looked into her eyes and felt a lump rise in their throat. No one had ever looked at them this way.

“Yes, really.”

And that was all it took. Somehow they both knew what to do, meeting in the middle, with Andi’s arm around their neck, her fingers lightly tugging on some of Silas’s hair.

After the giddiness and wonder began to fade, they joined her on the swings.

“So, yeah, that happened.” Silas bit their lip not really knowing what happened next. They were completely focused on Andi.

She looked down briefly, a smile on her face.

“I’ve really wanted that to happen for a while now. I just didn’t know if you were into me, you know?”

“I guess I do know because I thought we were friends, and you’re one of my only friends, and I didn’t want to screw this up.”

Had they screwed this up?

“You are my friend,” Andi said matter of factly, “and if you’d like you could date me too. If you want to. You don’t like have to. In fact if this kiss was weird for you, then we can forget it ever happened, and now I’m rambling.”

Silas took her hand squeezing it, “I don’t want to forget it ever happened, and I’d love to date you.”

Why did they have to be so embarrassing at this? They probably sounded way to eager.

“Well I guess that’s settled then, you’re now not only my friend, you’re my…well what would you like for me to call you?”

“I guess I never really thought of that. I guess partner works for me? Or does that sound too serious? Not serious as in I’m not serious about you, but I meant more business serious than a relationship?”

“Partner works for me. If you ever change your mind let me know. I’m guessing no cutesy nicknames?”

Silas laughed, it all seemed so easy. Is that the way this was supposed to be?

“Uh, maybe not yet.”

Andi giggled, “Well just so you know I have a stockpile of cutesy nicknames from more normal ones like babe, to over the top like snuggle honey muffin.”

Silas laughed too, “I think I’ll have to pass on that one.”

“Okay, but you don’t know what you’re missing out on.”

Andi was able to look deadly serious for just a few seconds before dissolving into giggles again.

“I can show you something else you’ve been missing out on, now that we’re official and all.”

“Really, what’s that?” they were genuinely curious.


Andi surprised them by hopping into their lap.

“Sharing a swing.”

“Remind me why I didn’t do this sooner…”

“Well we have all the time in the world now.”

After that, there wasn’t much speaking that went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment