Saturday, July 25, 2020

Chapter Two


The next morning, when I woke up, I found myself alone. Juliette had mentioned she had an early class, so I guess I was on my own. As I headed downstairs for breakfast, I could hear arguing coming from Sandra and Jules's room. 

I stopped for a second. Really it was none of my business what they were arguing about, but I couldn't help but feel a little curious. Maybe I could just stay for a minute?

"I think you need to apologize."

"I need to apologize? Are  you serious Sandra?"

"You had a bad attitude last night, and you made Marla and everyone else feel uncomfortable. These are going to be our friends for the next four years."

"Who said I wanted to be friends with any of them? Also, they're adults now just like us. They can take it."

"I want you to apologize."

"Me? I'll only apologize if you apologize."

"What did I do?"

"I don't know? Let's see you blathered on and interrupted basically everyone when they were talking. Oh yeah, and when Dirk mentioned spending time with his dead because his mom died,  you said it was cute how close they were. Cute? Seriously Sandra? You probably made him feel awkward as hell."

"Oh, I guess I didn't realize how that came off. I was just so excited to make new friends. You're right. I should apologize too."

"Whatever, let's get this over with."

"Jules..."

"The things I do for you."


After hearing Sandra and Jules argue, I tried to avoid them for most of the day. They both had a point. Both had made me feel uncomfortable at least. Sandra seemed to mean well, but she didn't seem to pick up on some obvious social cues, but really could I? I was just as awkward. Jules seemed to want to avoid getting close to new people, but instead of hiding from them, she seemed to put up a wall of sarcasm and snark. I didn't necessarily like how either of them acted, but a part of me could relate to both of them. 

I had to live with them for the next four years, so even if we weren't the best of friends, I at least wanted to be on civil terms with them. I really didn't want to sit through an uncomfortable apology session, but, just like the icebreakers, it didn't really seem like I had a choice.

"Jules they're all here."

"I know, don't remind me."

"We need to apologize now. Please, I just want them to like me."

"Then just you apologize."

"No, you agreed we'd both do this."

I could hear Jules let out a long sigh, "Dustin can you quit playing whatever game that is. We have something to say."

"But I'm having the best game of my life," Dustin whined.

"NOW!" Jules exclaimed before clearing her throat, "I mean please."

"Whatever," Dustin turned off the game, and the room lapsed into a very heavy and uncomfortable silence.


"So, um, you must be wondering why we called you all down here."

"I'm wondering why you made me quit SSSX3," Dustin said, clearly still annoyed.

"Look, I don't want to do this anymore than you do. I suck at this kind of thing, but Sandra's right, I should apologize. I'm sorry for being a jerk to you all. I'm sorry I made your job harder Marla, I'm sure it probably is bad enough as it is. Juliette, I'm sorry for making fun of your dream to be a rock star. I mean if you want to do it, go for it. And everyone else, I'm sorry for just being rude and weird."

"It's okay Jules," Marla said trying to plaster a smile on her face,"We were warned about, um, difficult students. We're all just adjusting here."

Juliette looked down at the floor,"It's fine. You're not the first one to tell me my dreams were silly. Thanks for the apology though."

"That's what we're hear for? To share our feelings?" Dustin asked letting out a snort.

Sandra ignored him as she began to speak, "I also wanted to apologize. I know I came one way too strong when talking to all of you yesterday. I just really wanted you all to like me. I'm especially sorry to you Dirk for being insensitive about your loss. I do think it's sweet you're close to your dad, but I shouldn't have ignored the fact that you lost your mom."

Dirk shrugged, "It's fine really. I'd rather have that than pity."

"Are we done here?" Dustin asked.

Jules arched an eyebrow, looking at Sandra, clearly wondering the same thing.

"Yeah, we're done. I just hope you all can forgive us, and we can all be best friends!"

With that everyone started to go their separate ways. At least I wasn't called out by name? I was a bit worried about Juliette, since she still seemed down.

As we walked up to our room, however, all traces of what was bothering her before seemed to vanish.

"Well, that was one of the most uncomfortable things I ever sat through in my life."

I laughed, "Definitely. I heard them arguing this morning, so I knew it was coming. Didn't make it any less awkward."

"Why didn't you warn me?" Juliette said with a mock pout, "Never mind, if you did I probably couldn't have kept a straight face. Those two are quite the pair aren't they."

"Yeah, I wonder how they got together. They seem so different."

"Eh, sometimes I guess the saying is true, 'The heart wants what it wants.' Even if that person is the complete polar opposite of you."

I paused, scrunching up my nose, that had definitely been true in my case, though had I really been following my heart with love for Johnny, or just wanting love in general?

"Are you okay?" Juliette asked, a concerned look on her face.

"Yeah," I said, shaking my head to snap out of it, "Just thinking about my ex."

"That's never a good thing. I try and forget my ex and I ever dated."

"You were dating someone before uni too?"

I wondered what kind of dating horror stories she had.

"Yep. Sit down, it's going to be a long story."


We both flopped down on our beds, getting comfortable. I was surprised Juliette was okay with opening up to me. We'd only known each other for two days now. I guess some people were more comfortable sharing stuff than others.

"Oh gosh, I'm trying to figure out where to even begin with this disaster."

"It's okay if  you, um, don't want to share," I mumbled, "I know we just met."

"Oh, I'm fine talking about it. There's just a lot of extra family history I should explain first, so I guess I'll start there. 

For as long as I can remember, my family has been in a feud with this other family, named the Montys. I honestly have no idea what started it. From what I can tell, my grandpa and their grandpa were actually friends at one point. After he married my grandma though, my grandpa seemed to have a complete change of heart. You see, my grandpa wasn't originally a Capp. We're actually a matriarchy, I guess you can call it that, and whoever marries in takes the Capp last name regardless of gender. My grandma, like the rest of the Capps hated the Montys, and it's like she poisoned my grandpa's mind or something into hating his best friend. It's quite sad really."

We both just sat there in silence, letting that hang there. I remember how quickly Ripp stopped being my friend, though the circumstance was completely different and justifiable. Still it was sad how fast a friendship could disintegrate into nothingness.

"So what exactly are they feuding over?" I asked.

"As far as I know, it's all over business and money. I really don't get that though. We have a more traditional cooperation, while the Montys are mainly focused on their restaurant chain. I'm guessing it probably goes back to something way more personal. It has to.

Anyway, growing up my sister and I, we didn't care much about the feud. We were friends with the Monty boys, Romeo and Mercutio, who were about our age. My brother Tybalt hated them on principal, but my sister and I didn't care. I don't think any of my cousins cared much, come to think of it. No one outside the adults in the main family did. My parents hated their parents and vice versa."

"So your parents were probably pretty mad that you and your sister were friends with them?"

"Oh definitely, but it's not like they could do much about it. Not like they could follow us to school and prevent us from playing together at recess. Things were fairly normal until the feud turned ugly," Juliette swallowed, eyes downcast. The next part was clearly hard for her.

"One day someone on both sides decided they had, had enough. They, they escalated things way past matters of petty insults and rivalries and went for murder."

"What?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. All this over money?

"No one knows who the culprit was, and after a couple years of investigating, the police gave up, but I'll never forget that day. I came home from school and a firetruck was outside our house. Not much remained, but that's not what mattered to me. My parents were inside there and were unable to get out before the firemen got there. They were getting my sister and grandparents to safety."

"Juliette, I'm so sorry. I hope this doesn't sound selfish, but I know how horrible it is to come home and find your parents gone. To have your life uprooted in an instant."

She gave me a sad smile,"It's not selfish at all. Out of anyone I knew you'd understand. I was devastated and angry. I didn't know why someone would do this. Just because of some dumb, ancient rivalry. They were my parents. They deserved to live! On the same day, someone went after the Montys too. Romeo and Mercutio's parents ended up dying as well, along with their mother's unborn child. One of their aunts also had the misfortune of visiting that day and died as well."

"Oh god, that's horrible."

I just couldn't imagine taking all those lives. All the families changed forever, all the children traumatized.

Juliette's voice was thick trying to hold back tears, "Yeah it was. Romeo, he felt the same way I did. He was furious with what happened. It was senseless. We decided to start dating just to piss off whoever did this. Show them that what they did meant nothing. No one cared about the feud but them. 

If only I really actually knew Romeo before that happened. Sure things were fine at first, but it quickly became clear that we wanted very different things from the relationship. I was looking for comfort with someone who I felt could understand me. I took the relationship seriously, even though we were young. Romeo, he was only doing it to get back at whoever caused his parents death, and well to be crass, get in my pants. I caught him cheating on me so many times before I decided to end it. I felt so stupid for trusting him, for thinking he'd feel the same way. Yeah we both wanted to metaphorically spit in the face of whoever did this, but I was naive enough to think something more would come of it."

"You weren't naive," I said, "You had every right to think he'd understand. He sounds like such a jerk."

"He is. I feel bad for whatever poor girl he tricked into dating him now."


"I'm genuinely sorry you had to go through all that. It makes me feel dumb in comparison when I think about my romantic past."

Juliette walked over to my bed and comfortingly squeezed my arm, "It's not a competition."

"I-I know. I just feel dumb."

"Don't. What was your ex like, if you want to talk about it, that is."

And so I told her about what happened with Ripp before anything could even really began. How I broke up with Johnny before leaving before university.

"Was I wrong in what I did. I just felt, almost trapped and guilty with Johnny."

"You're not wrong. I don't think you're the one who should feel guilty. Johnny didn't even try to understand what you were going through, and he only seemed to like you when you shoved down all your feelings and were someone you're not. He liked that Ophelia, but I happen to think the real Ophelia is pretty great."

I felt my cheeks get warm, "Really?"

"Really," she said smiling, "I think that's enough talk of stupid boys for one day. I don't know about you, but I feel emotionally drained. I'm ready to go to sleep."

"Honestly, me too. It feels good to let it out, though."

And it really did. I'd never confided that much in someone, and I'd never had anyone confide in me like that either.

"Yeah it does. I'm glad you didn't run away screaming after hearing about my past."

"Never. I'm really luck I got you as a roommate. We need to stick together."

Juliette beamed, "I'm all for that. Good night Ophelia."

"Good night Juliette."

I drifted off within seconds of my head hitting the pillow.


Life began to settle into a bit of a routine. For me it was mostly wake up, go to class, study, sleep, wash, rinse, repeat. Most of my housemates seemed to be in a similar boat, though Dustin and Jules in particular seemed to be blowing off their studies a bit. One thing none of us could avoid was the infamous coach. It seemed she appeared in our house out of nowhere wanting us to exercise. Sorry, but we were all just a little bit too preoccupied. 

Not that exercise couldn't do some good. One day Sandra asked Jules and me to meet her at the campus gym. More specifically, by the ballet barres, wearing "cute" leotards.

"What do you think she has planned for us," Jules asked, her arms crossed.

"I don't know. She's you're girlfriend."

Jules just shot me a look, and I didn't say much more.

I still wasn't entirely comfortable around her, but I had been trying to open up more. Juliette just seemed the easiest person to open up too, especially after our talk earlier on in the semester. Still, I was trying to be open to making more friends.

Luckily, Sandra didn't keep us waiting much longer.

"Surprise!" she yelled from behind us, making us both jump.

"What the hell are you wearing?" Jules asked snickering.

"Well, I said cute leotards, and what's cuter than an eighties throwback with leg warmers and everything?"

"Only you could make that look cute," Jules mumbled, clearly embarrassed to be giving a compliment.

"I signed us all  up for ballet lessons! Doesn't that sound fun?"

"Um, you what," I asked in confusion. 

Could she even do that without my permission. Weren't there forms or something I needed to sign? Were there some kind of safety waivers? Just how dangerous was ballet? I tried to calm myself from the panicky feeling rising in my chest.

"Yeah, Sandra, you can't just sign us up for a class we don't even want to be in," Jules said.

"Please, it'll be fun, I promise," Sandra said pouting.

"Whatever, I'm out. I have class. Enjoy whatever this is."

And with that, Jules left.

"Well," I said nervously turning to Sandra, "It looks like it's just you and me."

She didn't seem deterred by her girlfriend's lack of enthusiasm.

"I kinda figured it'd be just you and me, Phi. I just wish Jules could get excited for something just this once, but oh well. It'll give us the chance to bond more!"

"Yeah, fun," I replied with as much enthusiasm as I could muster. Sandra was still a little too boisterous for my taste, but she was really sweet. Plus, I felt bad that Jules ditched her. It wouldn't hurt to stick around a while.

I actually ended up enjoying ballet a lot more than I thought I would. I didn't enjoy the swarm of people running  up and down the stairs during our class, or the amount of people in our class, or having my posture and positions constantly corrected. All that probably sounded like I hated ballet, but it was actually really nice. Once I got into it, and really started focusing on my movements, I felt some of the anxiousness start to ebb away. It was nice to have something occupy my mind. I don't know if I would go back to the gym for lessons, but I thought it might be nice to look to install a barre somewhere in the house.

Not all of us exercised to clear our head, some of us exercised with a goal in mind.

"Watcha doing JC?"

"Where you talking to me," Juliette asked confused.

"Yep, I decided to call you JC since I'm Jules, and I don't want us to be confused."

"I only go by Juliette. I don't use nicknames, so we should be fine."

"You know how Sandra is, though. Always wanting to give everyone a nickname. Phi, Dusty, Mar. She hasn't come up with one for you or Dirk though, so I'm giving you one, JC."

"That's alright I suppose."

"Anyway, what are you doing?" Jules repeated her question.

"Just getting a head start on next semester. I know it's a little early, but I wanted to be in top physical condition for whatever my courses throw at me."

"Why are you worried about next semester. It doesn't start for two more weeks."

Juliette paused, almost slipping off the treadmill. 

"Jules, next semester starts Monday! We just had finals."

"What do you mean we just had finals? I didn't have my final."

Juliette looked at Dustin for some help, but he just shrugged.

"Dude, you missed finals? I can't believe it. I think you were asleep or something, but we all got back a couple of hours ago."

Dustin couldn't seem to decide between being amused or being horrified.

"Crap! You're kidding me? This won't have too big of an effect on my grade, will it?"

Nobody answered.

Once grades finally came in, however, we learned it did indeed have a big impact on Jules's grade. She ended up having to take her first semester over and was put on academic probation. 

There was a definite shift in her demeanor. Instead of playing video games, goofing around, and giving us all a heard time, she seemed to spend a lot of time sulking and studying.

I decided that since a new semester had started, that maybe I could use a new look. I was a little nervous. Most of my clothing could be considered, alternative, I guess, and I tended to stick to darker colors. I decided to make a tiny change and wear some color, or at least some a sweater with some color. I was beginning to feel a bit more confident, and I wanted my makeover to reflect that.

The first person a sought out to get an opinion about my new look from was Juliette. She had quickly become not only a confidant, but my best friend. It was strange, having a best friend. Strange but nice.

"So, um what do you think?" I asked nervously.

"I think you look gorgeous, and very mature too."

I felt my cheeks get warm. Why was I always so embarrassed to get a compliment.

"T-tahnks," I stammered out, "It's not too mature, though, right? I still look like a uni student."

"A very fashionable one."

I grinned. I guess I'd stick with this look then.


One day, after a quick jog, I came back to find Sandra in our room, talking to Juliette enthusiastically. I felt, jealous? No that can't be right. Why would I feel jealous? Was I that insecure? Juliette was allowed to have other friends besides me. Even if those friends were more bubbly and pretty and popular than I was. Man, I was acting weird. 

"Oh hey Phi!" Sandra greeted me warmly.

"Hey," I replied, digging my nails into my hand. I needed to get a grip.

"I was just here telling Juliette she should practice her music at the student amphitheater on campus. Tons of students go there to collaborate, and if she's going to be a rock star, she needs to get used to an audience." 

Juliette rolled her eyes in an annoyed but good natured way, "And I was telling Sandra that no one needs to hear that right now. I'm taking private lessons, and I'm definitely not interested in giving a performance."

"If she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to," I said trying to stick up for Juliette. She was always sticking up for me.

"Do you have stage fright? Is that it? You totally shouldn't have stage fright. I bet you're awesome!" Sandra seemed to completely ignore me.

Juliette sighed, "I don't have stage fright. You know what, you win. I'll go down to the amphitheater."

"I'm coming too! I'll do backup vocals or something. I'm a great singer." Sandra chimed in.

Of course she was.

"Phi you should come too! You could be Juliette's test audience."

"Good idea, Ophelia should go too," Juliette agreed giving me a pleading look.

"Let me get showered and dressed, and I guess I'll be there."

"This is going to be so amazing," Sandra squealed, and with that she ran out of the room making who knows what plans.

"Thanks for not making me go alone. I'm still not sure about this, but I feel better knowing you'll be there," Juliette said gratefully.

"Of course," I said, "That's what friends are for."

I needed to be a better friend and stop feeling so weird and jealous. Sandra just wanted to support Juliette in her own way. 

When we arrived, Juliette walked over to the guitar nervously. Once she started playing, she seemed to be a lot more confident. Several students gathered near her, and some even gave her tips. She was good, like really good.

Sandra was...a singer. I'll give her that. What she lacked in skill, she definitely made up for in confidence.

I danced over to Juliette to check in on her.

"How does it feel to be a big rock star?"

She laughed, "I am most definitely not a big rock star."

"Well,  you seem to have a lot of groupies following you around."

"Including you?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I guess including me."

"Well, it's not as bad as I thought, performing in front of people that is. I don't know what Sandra was talking about collaborating, though. Everyone seems to be playing something different. I'm surprised anyone can here me over all the other instruments."

"That just shows how talented you are."

She shrugged, "Maybe."

"Not maybe, definitely."

"Be honest with  me Ophelia, do you really think I have a chance of getting in with some band?"

"Of course! If  you play for them like you're playing right now, someone will snatch you up right away. I'm sure you need an agent or a demo track or something, but you're talented."

"You really think so?" she asked shyly. 

"I know so. They'd be dumb not to want you."

Okay maybe that came out wrong, but she was super talented. I had no idea you got in with a rock band, but if Juliette could figure that out, she'd be golden.

Maybe feeling jealous was silly, but I wasn't the only one feeling sort of jealous about Sandra and Juliette's friendship. Jules came by often when the two were hanging out, hoping to spend more time with Sandra during one of her few study breaks. Sandra being Sandra, however, always got wrapped up in whatever conversation she was having, leaving Jules to stomp out and sulk. I felt bad for her, and I really hoped she passed this semester and was able to continue with us.

Jules didn't seem as confident, and went around giving the rest of the house goodbye hugs before finals.

"What's wrong with you? You're actually hugging people? Since when did you hug?" Dustin asked, clearly a little freaked out.

"Well, I'm about to face the music soon. I figure I better at least be nice to all of you before I'm kicked out for good," Jules replied sharply.

"Don't worry. You've been studying really hard this whole semester. I'm sure they'll let you stay and take you off probation," Dirk said reassuringly.

"Yeah, I kind of doubt that. It was nice knowing you guys."

And just like that, our freshman year was over. Juliette and I passed with top grades.

"I can't believe we made it through our first year of uni," Juliette said excitedly, slapping my hand in a high five.

"I can't believe I made it through the first day, let alone a whole year. I have you to thank for it though. Without you as a friend, I probably would've just dropped out and become a hermit."

"I seriously doubt that."

"No, well, maybe not the dropping out part, but I definitely wouldn't have done the things I've done. Talking to people, opening up, going to a ballet class, the amphitheater. All those things, they're not really me. Thanks for your support through everything."

I really hoped I didn't sound like a complete weirdo, but it was true. Having a friend helped boost my confidence, and it lead to me making more friends. I wasn't quite as anxious as I was that first day. I had learned some new coping mechanisms, and I was finally feeling sort of adjusted, or as adjusted as I could be.

"You're welcome. I'd literally do anything for you. I'm so glad we got paired together as roommates."

I sighed in relief. She didn't think I was weird, or at least maybe she knew me well enough that she didn't care. Either way, I was fine with.

"Me too. Now let's go celebrate getting through our first year. Only three more to go."

"So did you pass?"

"Uh, huh."

"See what being optimistic does for  you?"

"Sandra, I love you, but I was the least optimistic person ever last semester, even more so than usual. If anything, I was fatalistic. I guess that helped me get my butt in gear though. I want to spend the rest of my time at uni with my girlfriend, not trying to look for a place to live back in Riverblossom Hills, barely scrapping by on the money I make doing pizza deliveries or something, while I try and find someone to publish my novel."

"If you got kicked out, I'd just move in with you and continue uni from there. I don't have to live on campus."

"But you love it here!"

"I love you more. At least we don't have to worry about that happening."

"Yeah, thank God for that."

We were all planning on going out later tonight, so I decided to take a short nap beforehand. No matter what, being around large groups of people would always be draining for me. When I entered our room, I found Juliette on a heated conversation on the phone.

"I know how much it means to you. I'm not going to take it away."

"Yes, I know I majored in Econimics. For some reason it's the only major that has anything to do with music."

"Don't listen to him Hermia, just do your own thing. I'm not a threat I promise."

After a few more exchanges, she hung up.

Juliette let out a long puff of air, "Sorry about that."

"That seemed pretty intense."

"Not what I wanted to come back to after finishing my first year in uni, that's for sure."

"Do you mind me asking what that was all about?"

"Oh not at all," she bit her lip, "More to do with the family business really. As the oldest daughter, I'm the one who's supposed to inherit it, but I've never had any interest. I keep trying to get that through to my grandpa, but I'm not really sure he's listening. He found out I majored in Economics and thought I had a change of heart."

"It didn't sound like you were on the phone with him. You mentioned your sister."

"Well, I was on the phone with him at first, telling him for the millionth time I'm interested in going into music, not the family business. We had our usual back and forth about how this is just a phase, and I'll change my mind eventually.

After I got off the phone with him, I had to reassure Hermia, that no I wasn't going to try and take over. Since I gave up my spot, the business was passed down to her. She's always been much more interested in it than I have been, honestly. I know my grandpa and my brother Tybalt are trying to push her out, so that on top of thinking I had changed my mind made me worried."

"So I assume the business falls under the whole matriarchy thing too?"

"Yeah, which Tybalt wasn't happy about. He really wants to run it, and even when my grandma was around, she considered changing things up so he could since he was the only one who really cared about sticking it to the Montys. After she passed away, and I decided to forgo running things, the leadership position defaulted to Hermia. I honestly think she'll do amazing things for the company and maybe even end this feud for good."

"That's a lot for one person to do."

"I have all the faith in the world in her. I'm going to help her the best I can, even if it's just from the sidelines."

"Well, I think you're a good big sister. The more I find out about your family, the more I understand why you wanted a fresh start too."

"They aren't the most pleasant to be around. I don't know what I want to do after uni, honestly. I'm thinking of sticking close to here instead of moving back to Veronaville. Would you consider being my roomie again?"

I hadn't really thought about my plans after uni, but I knew I wasn't going back to Strangetown, that's for sure, plus if I stuck around with Juliette I'd get to see her and some of our other friends.

"It's a little earlier to be thinking about that, but I'll consider it. We make quite the team."

She pulled me into a tight embrace, shocking me.

"You're the best Ophelia. Did you know that?"

I felt dizzy with how close I was to her. The scent of her perfume filled my nose, and I felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest. I quickly pulled back.

"Uh, um, uh yeah. I guess I am."

She giggled, seeming unphased by the whole incident, "Let's get ready to party."

"Yeah," I said, my thoughts running a million miles an hour, "Time to celebrate."


We ended up heading to PURE, one of the clubs Downtown. When we got there the music was pumping, and the dance floor was packed. Most of my roommates wasted no time in heading out to dance. 

I hung back, overwhelmed by all the color and people and noise, not to mention I was still confused by what happened earlier. Thankfully, I wasn't the only person not feeling the dance floor. I joined Marla at the bar.

"Not your scene?" I asked.

"No, definitely not, but the fact that I actually got invited, well I couldn't say no."

"Marla, you know you're our friend right? Not just our RA?"

"Sometimes it doesn't really feel like it. I feel like you all probably hate me since I have to make sure you follow the campus rules. Sometimes I wonder why I even took this job in the first place, " she admitted sadly.

"We don't hate you at all Marla. We know you're just doing your job. Yeah, I know Jules and Dustin give you a hard time, but think about it, they give everyone a hard time."

I kind of surprised myself. The me of last year would not have been giving advice, let alone advice about people.

She smiled at me, "I guess you're right. Thanks Ophelia."

"No problem."

I really was happy to help. I guess I was growing a little after all.

"Don't let me keep you here. You can go out on the dance floor if you want to, " Marla said shyly.

I smiled at her.

"I think I'll hang out with you for a bit. It's nice to know someone else isn't interested in the club scene either."

Marla's face lit up, seemingly happy I was sticking around.

As the night wore on, the rest of my roommates continued to enjoy the club, while I kept Marla company at the bar. I was surprised to see Dustin dancing with a random girl on the dance floor. With all the moaning he did about his ex, I didn't think he'd ever move on. I guess time does heal some wounds.

I apparently couldn't escape dancing the whole night. Juliette eventually stopped by the bar, grabbed my hand, and lead me to the dance floor. I waved apologetically at Marla as I left, but she just smiled and went back to her drink.

"Hey, I thought this was a party. I haven't seen you dance all night."

"You know me. You know this isn't really my thing," I mumbled. I was suddenly super nervous being around Juliette. What was that back in our room? Did I have feelings for her? I tried to push that down. No, I didn't want to ruin our friendship, and I didn't need to enter into another relationship considering my previous ones were disasters.

"Still, I think you should dance at least one dance tonight."

"Okay," I said grinning in spite of myself, "Only for you."

"That's the spirit!" 

As we danced together, everything else seemed to fade away. We talked and laughed, and I had a great time.

We stayed out pretty late at the club, maybe a little too late for some people. The next morning we found Sandra passed out in the front yard, to tired to make it on her trip to the hot tub.

Seeing her made me really glad I didn't have that much to drink, and that I stayed mostly in my comfort zone. Though I was drained the next morning, I was definitely not that tired.

The next day continued to get stranger, as a red haired girl I'd never met before knocked on our door.

"Hi, I'm looking for Dustin. Is he busy?"

I had no idea who she was, and I also had no idea if Dustin actually wanted to see her. I had only seen him with one girl at the club, but who knows, maybe she was another girl he spent some time with.

"Um...."

"Never mind," she said as she pushed past me, "I'll find him myself."

Dustin seemed shocked and not at all happy to see her.

"Angela? What are you doing here?"

So this was Dustin's ex. Great, just what we needed, relationship drama.

"I came here to tell you that your little plan isn't going to work," she said with a huff.

"Angela, I don't have time for your games. I have no idea what you think I'm doing, so just tell me. You never had any problem telling me what I did wrong."

"Your little quest to win me back. It's not going to work. I'm engaged Dustin, to a man that's much better than you'll ever be."

Wow, that was cold. No wonder Angela and Dustin weren't together anymore.

"Wow, Ange. Thanks for coming all the way out here to tell me that. I really needed that," he said bitterly.

"His name is Tank Grunt. I met him at university. He's just absolutely perfect in every way. He comes from a great family, and he even has his future all planned out. He's going to be in the military."

I almost choked, as I listened on. There was no way she was talking about the same Tank Grunt from Strangetown. Tank was a menace and a bully who treated everyone else around him as inferior, though judging by what I could see of Angela's personality so far, maybe that's exactly what she was looking for.

"He even took me to Londoste to propose. Londoste Dustin! You never took me there."

"I never took you there because I was a teenager, and I didn't have any money," Dustin seethed.

"Again with the poor, woe as me excuse Dustin. That doesn't mean you couldn't have treated to me to nice things every now and again."

Dustin rolled his eyes, "You're still as immature as ever. I still don't see why you drove all the way out here to tell me this."

"Because!" she shouted, "You won't and will never get me back. I saw that picture you posted of you dancing with some girl at a club. I know it was to make me jealous, but it didn't work because I already found someone better than you."

"Stalker much? I didn't post that picture to make you jealous. Hell, I didn't even know you looked at my social media at all since we aren't even together anymore. I happy for you Angela. It sounds like you found your perfect boyfriend to fit into your perfect life plan, something I was never going to be able to be. Now if you could kindly get the hell out of my house, we can go our separate ways and never speak to each other again."

Angela stomped her foot.

"No, you're still into me, and I know it."

"I'm over you Angela. If you want to pretend I'm still into you fine. Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Just then, Dirk walked through the door.

"Hey Ange-"

Dustin surprised everyone in the room by pulling Dirk in for a kiss. I'm pretty sure Dirk's eyes were about to pop out of his head, and Angela looked like her head might just explode.

"You see, I've got Dirk now. I've moved on from you."

Angela seemed at a loss for words.

"I-you-what?"

"That's right. Now leave!"

Angela wasted no time bolting out the door.

I tried to keep my face buried in the book I was reading, but I knew whatever came next was going to be even more awkward than Dustin and Angela fighting. Why did I decide to study in the common area? Why didn't I just retreat to my room?

"Dude, what was that?" Dirk asked completely in shock.

"She just wouldn't leave man, I had to get her out of here somehow. Even when I told her I was over her, she still wouldn't buy it, so I had to show her. You just happened to walk through the door, and I wasn't really thinking."

I'd never actually seen Dirk get angry, usually he was pretty mellow.

"So that's all that was? You just wanted to use me to get back at Angela."

"C'mon Dirk, we're friends. She wouldn't leave. You get it, right?"

"No, I don't get it. I'd never use one of my friends like that. Some friend you are."

With that, Dirk stormed upstairs. He slammed the door so loud, I could here it all the way downstairs. I felt horrible for him and angry at Dustin. I had never really known how to feel about him, and I was starting to feel sorry for him when I saw the way Angela treated him, but using Dirk like that wasn't okay. I decided for once to speak up.

"I think you should go and apologize."

He whipped around to face me, a scowl on his face.

"Apologize for what."

"For using Dirk the way you did. I get it, Angela made you angry, but that's no excuse to treat someone who's supposedly your friend like that."

He scoffed, "What do you know about relationships anyway. Dirk will be fine. He's just overreacting."

I stood up next to him, matching the scowl on his face.

"He's not overreacting. What you did wasn't okay at all. Apologize to him now."

"Since when did you get so bossy?"

"Since when did you become such a jerk?"

I was not going to back down from this one.

"Fine, whatever. I'll go talk to him. You don't know Dirk like I do. He's completely fine."

Somehow, I sincerely doubted that.


Dustin went upstairs to talk things out with Dirk.

"Ophelia thinks you're mad at me or something, so I just came here to apologize. Totally crazy, right?"

Dirk tossed his hands in the air in frustration.

"Save it Dustin. I don't want to here anything you have to say right now, and for the record, she's not crazy, she's right. What you did was so messed up."

"Okay, what I did was kind of messed up, but I had to think on my feet, like I said. It was just a kiss. No harm done."

"I already told you I didn't want to hear anything you had to say. What part of that didn't you understand? And for the record, I don't just kiss people without meaning it, so no I don't get it, and yes harm done."

Dustin looked at him dumbfounded.

"You're seriously mad about this?"

"Why is that so hard to believe? Put yourself in my shoes. How would you feel if I randomly kissed  you just to get back at my ex."

"I'd get it. Girls don't make sense."

"No," Dirk said shaking his head, "you don't make sense."

"I don't see why we can't just go back to being friends and act like this never happened," Dustin said annoyed.

"Because, well, I have feelings for you," Dirk shifted awkwardly.

"For real?"

"Yeah. Why do you think I broke up with Lilith?"

"Because she was annoying?"

"No, you idiot, it's because I realized I had feelings for you instead, and I didn't want to stay in a relationship with her. It wasn't fair to her."

"I had no idea," Dustin said looking down at the ground.

"Well, now you do."

"I can't say I never found you attractive. Angela's hot, but you're definitely hot too."

"Don't," Dirk said angrily, "Don't even try and do this."

"Do what?"

"Pretend you might be interested in me to make this all okay."

"But what if I was? What if that moment was all it took?"

"I'm sorry, but I don't buy it," Dirk said sadly, "We can keep being roommates, but honestly, I don't think we can stay friends."

Dustin headed back downstairs, dejectedly. From the look on his face, he seemed to feel bad about what he did to Dirk. 

Maybe he did like Dirk as more than a friend, maybe he didn't. All he knew was that whatever he was feeling, he had messed everything up.

While Dirk and Dustin were having a disastrous time with their love lives, and Dustin was feeling just as confused as I was, Sandra decided to play a little match making. She seemed to think it was her duty to make sure none of us graduated single. Since we all just kept shrugging her off every time she suggested setting us up on a blind date, she decided to take matters into her own hands.

"Jacob! It's so great to see you."

"You too. I've missed hanging out with you and Jules."

"Well, you're here now, so we can totally catch up, but maybe later. I have other plans instead."

Sandra lead Jacob into the house.

"Jacob, I have someone I'd like you to meet. Jacob this is Marla. Marla, Jacob. Marla here is our super awesome RA."

"It's nice to meet you," Jacob said shaking Marla's hand.

"You too," Marla said quietly, blushing a little.

"Well, I'll leave you two to get to know each other. I have, um, some homework to catch up on. Yeah, that's it."

Though Sandra may have thought Marla and Jacob would've made a perfect match, things didn't seem to be off to a great start. Jacob was a little too forward for super shy Marla.

As I was listening to Juliette practice her latest solo, Jacob burst into our room out of nowhere.

"Hey, I'm Jacob."

"I'm Ophelia, and that's Juliette."

I rang my hands nervously. I may have been slowly becoming more confident, but I was still very wary of new people. Even though Sandra and Jules knew him, and both dated him, didn't mean I knew him or if he was trustworthy.

Juliette was engrossed in her guitar solo, so it looked like I would have to do the talking.

"I was wondering what you knew about Marla. I think she's really  cool, and I know Sandra invited me over to try and set us up. I just can't seem to get anywhere with her."

"Well, you should know that Marla is very shy. You need to take things slowly with her. She's not the type to rush into things. Maybe try getting to know her first and take it from there?"

I really wasn't good at romantic relationship advice.

"Thanks for the tip. I really didn't know much about her, other than Sandra describing her as cute. I think I probably was a bit too pushy."

"Uh, no problem. I hope it works out."

"Thanks, me too."

Jacob seemed to follow my advice because I could hear him chatting up Marla in the hallway. From what I could tell, things seemed to be going a lot better.

Jacob became a regular fixture at our house from that day on. I had to admit they made quite the sweet couple. I was happy Marla had found someone.

"What did I tell you," Sandra said smiling over at them, "I just knew they'd be the perfect match."

"Yeah, yeah. You're a great matchmaker. Maybe you should go into the matchmaking business instead of being an EMT."

"That's actually not a bad idea. My grandma Betty was a great matchmaker back in the day. I'm sure she has some great tips for me."

"Sandra, I wasn't being serious."

"I think it's a good idea. I'll just get my degree as like a back up in case matchmaking doesn't work out."

Jules smiled at her and shook her head.

"You're hopeless."

"Only a hopeless romantic. I just love, love."

"I just wanted to thank both of you for introducing me to Jacob. He's such a sweet guy, and- Are you even paying attention to me?"

"Yeah, great guy. You're super happy," Jules said in between kissing Sandra, "Now can you let us get back to this. We'd like a little privacy."

Marla just shook her head.

"If you wanted privacy, maybe you shouldn't make out in the main room."

Marla wasn't only gaining a boyfriend but gaining a new friend as well. It seemed, that after almost two years, she and Jules were finally on good terms.

"I can't thank you enough for introducing me to Jacob."

"Yeah, you've only said that about a hundred times. But you know what, Marla? I'm glad you're happy. I know I gave you a hard time in the beginning, and I'm sorry I was such a brat. You're actually a good person."

"You're a good person too Jules. You have a big heart, even if  you try and hide it."

"No need to get all mushy on me."

Marla pulled Jules into a friendly hug, which Jules returned with only a small eye roll and a smile on her face.

Speaking of Jules heart, I heard from Juliette that she had big plans. She wanted to propose to Sandra next year. They had been dating for several years now, and she was ready to take the plunge. Juliette was all to happy to give Jules tips on planning the perfect, romantic proposal.

Sophomore year seemed to fly by. All too soon, it was time for our last final exam. I couldn't believe I was about to be halfway through university already. It seemed like a lifetime ago that I left Strangetown looking for my own second chance at happiness. As far as second chances went, I really lucked out. So far I had met some amazing friends, and I was doing really well in school. Being away from Strangetown, from Olive, from Johnny, from all the bad memories was doing wonders for my mental health. I was starting to manage my anxiety a little better, and though the whole in my heart would never truly heal from the loss of my parents, I was beginning to cope with the grief. 

I had Juliette to thank for that. She just understood me so well. I had come to except the fact that I was falling in love with her. I wasn't sure if I was ready to admit my feelings, or if I even should. It was strange, really. I had only ever been with guys before, but I guess I never really considered the possibility I might like girls too. Maybe it was being exposed to people who were unapologetically themselves, that made me realize I was bi. Maybe it was just Juliette herself with her kind and caring nature. Understanding myself better gave me peace of mind too. Maybe one day, I would take the plunge and confess my feelings. I felt so much better and actually up for trying another relationship. I just had to hope she felt the same way.

I tried to clear my head of that, for right now at least, and get myself centered and ready for my sophomore finals. I was luckily able to fit a ballet barre into the house, and I had continued to use it whenever I was feeling anxious and overwhelmed. I had done enough studying, and I felt ready. Now all I needed to do was focus on something else until it was time to take my finals.

I wasn't the only one coming to terms with my feelings. After spending almost the entire year avoiding each other, Dustin and Dirk were finally having a heart to heart. We were planning on all taking a trip to Twikkii Islands after finals, and the two decided to clear the air.

"Dirk, I know you've wanted nothing to do with me this past year, and I completely understand why, but I really just wanted to ask you if we could have one last talk. We're going to be trapped in a hotel together, and I'd rather not keep ignoring each other like we have been all year."

Dirk sighed, "Fine I'll hear you out."

"Dirk, I've been a real jerk. I realize that now, hell, I realized that right after our argument. I would say it wasn't fair of me to kiss you when you had feelings for me, but it wasn't fair for me to do that either way. I took advantage of you, and I'm truly sorry. I miss having my friend around. I hope that one day you can forgive me."

"That's the thing Dustin, I already did forgive. I just didn't want to let you off that easily because I know I was thinking with my heart instead of my head. Yeah, it was childish to not talk to you much for a whole year, but I was really hurt by what you did."

"I don't blame you. I screwed up majorly. I'm also sorry for how I tried to backtrack and make it seem okay that I kissed you because I had thought about you that way before. The way I worded it was awful. The truth is, yeah I could acknowledge  you were hot, but I really didn't think of you that way until the kiss. Then when you were mad at me, and you had every right to be, it was like I realized too late. 

You're my friend, and you've been with me through thick and thin even when I didn't deserve it. I know it's a long shot, but would you maybe want to give us a try?"

Dirk looked at him a bit skeptically.

"How do I know you're sincere. I don't want to get my hopes up, only to find out that you're messing with me again."

Dustin gently took Dirk's hands in his.

"Honestly, that's fair. All I can ask is that you trust me, which is a lot considering what I put you through. I feel like I'm in high school or something. My palms are probably sweating."

"Just a little," Dirk couldn't help but laugh.

"So, what do you say. Will you be my boyfriend."

"Yes. I know I might be a fool for thinking this will end well, but maybe there's hope for us."

Dustin smiled, "I can't believe you said yes! All we can do is try."

Dirk laughed, "Okay, just by your reaction I can tell you're actually into me."

"I mean, who wouldn't be. A kind, sophisticated, smart, artsy guy like you?"

"I only have one request," Dirk said.

"Oh?" Dustin replied nervously.

"Can we have a do over kiss?"

"I think I can manage that."

Finals came and went, and we all ended up passing. It was time to get prepared for our big trip. 

The day before we left, Sandra cornered Juliette.

"So we're juniors now! Can you believe it?"

"Honestly, no. It seems like just yesterday we started university."

"Well, since we're juniors now, and you and Ophelia are the only ones who's single. It's time for me to preform my matchmaking magic."

Juliette stared at her wide eyed.

"You mean you want to match us with each other?"

"No! I mean unless you want to be matched together. O.MG. Do you have a crush on her? Don't answer that, you totally do. I can see it in the way you look at her. I'm pretty sure she's into you too."

"Wait, what? Sandra I didn't say that, and what do you mean the way I look at her? We're friends," Juliette sputtered.

"Sweetie, I know how friends act around each other, and that isn't it. You remind me of me and Jules when we were trying to figure things out."

"But-Fine, how did you know?"

"I'm a matchmaker, I just know these things. I can read people."

"And you really think she likes me too."

"Oh yeah. I've seen her get kind of jealous before, and more importantly she acts all nervous and butterflies in her stomach around you sometimes. That and she gives you googly eyes."

"Googly eyes?"

"Yep, basically heart eyes emoji, but like in real life."

"What should I do, " Juliette asked curiously.

"Just leave it all up to me. By the end of our vacation, I can guarantee you'll be together."

We all packed our bags and headed off to the beautiful island of Twikkii. Little did Juliette or I know what would be in store for us there. This vacation would be life changing, whether it would be for the better or not remained to be seen.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Playing these guys through uni has been super fun. :)

      Delete