Friday, July 31, 2020

Chapter Three


When we arrived in Twikkii, it seemed like just the kind of relaxing vacation we needed to prepare us for our final half of uni. Most of us hit the beach straight away.

Sandra and Dustin decided to go sunbathing, despite warnings from their partners.

"See Dirk, I didn't even burn a little."

"I don't see how that's possible? You also used to turn red as a tomato when we were kids."

Sandra looked at her tan with admiration.

"I look like a true beach babe. Is it possible I got even hotter?"

Jules rolled her eyes good naturedly.

"I don't know if you can get hotter. Just remember, you're my beach babe."

Sandra giggled, giving her a peck on the cheek.

 "How could I forget?"

There was also a young child on the beach that seemed to take quite a liking to Jules, much to her dismay.

"Your hair is super cool? How did you save it on just one side like that? Do you think my mommy will let me do that?"

"I don't know kid. Where are your parents anyway?"

"Will you be my new best friend?" the kid rattled on and on seeming to ignore Jules's question. His parents came to collect him, apologetically, a few minutes later.

"Hang loose Juliette," I said, wobbly to keep my balance while I tried out the local greeting.

She laughed, "It looks like you need a little more work on that, but I'm sure you'll get there."

I felt heat rise to my cheeks obviously I was making a fool of myself.

Juliette seemed to notice the downfallen expression on my face.

"I'm sorry Ophelia, I wasn't laughing to be mean."

"I know. I just feel silly."

"Well you're not, and you're dong better than I can. I bet I'd completely fall over."

I smiled. Juliette was always so sweet. It was just one of the many things I loved about her. I froze for a moment with that thought in my mind. Love? Wasn't it a little early to be thinking that? I didn't even know if she had feelings for me at all.

Speaking of love, Marla invited Jacob on vacation with us, and they spent almost the entire afternoon of our first day there in our room. 

I'm sure we all knew what they were doing, but I didn't really like to think about that.

Later on in the evening, Marla and Jacob finally joined us as we watched Dustin attempt to learn fire dancing. His teacher was a natural! Dustin, not so much.

Most of the time was spent hearing Dirk worry about him catching on fire, and Jules heckling him.

After hours of watching Dustin try, and fail, to learn, we all pretty much got bored and wandered off. Dirk stuck around though, attempting to cheer Dustin on.

"You've almost got the hang of it! You can do this!"

"Yeah. Woo look at me. I'm holding the stick properly now."

We began the next day with a trip to the local hot springs, at one of the temples. I was surprised how large it was. A lot of sims seemed to be able to fit in the bubbling water.

As I sat between Juliette and Dirk, I tried to calm myself and not feel too overwhelmed by how just how many random strangers there were.

Seeing the panicked look on my face, Juliette reached out and gave my hand a comforting squeeze.

Eventually, Juliette decided she wanted to explore the ruins more. Seeing as I was missing an extra barrier of support, I decided to get up and get a bite to eat.

I didn't know that she went over and made a wish in the falls. I also didn't know that she was wishing for the same question to be answered that had been on my mind. Did we each reciprocate the others' feelings?

Juliette wasn't the only one that visited the falls.

Jules, however, had a more mischievous plan in mind.

Sandra, and many others from the springs, came rushing over as they heard screams from the locals and tourists alike. 

"Jules! What did you do?"

"How did you know it was me. I definitely wasn't here when the lava started pouring out."

Sandra gave her a look.

"Fine! I just wanted to see what happened if I poured soap in it."

"And why on earth would you want to do that? The falls are so pretty!"

"I just felt compelled. I had to know."

Sandra looked around worriedly.

"I think we should all go now before we get in trouble."

Jules all to eagerly agreed to that  plan.

After messing with the falls, Jules wandered into the gift shop. Maybe she could find the perfect ring for Sandra here in Twikkii. Why was jewelry shopping so hard? Why did you even need a ring anyway when you got engaged?

The next day, Marla booked us all a tour to go see the local wildlife. Some of us were more enthused than others. I was just surprised that she and Jacob were willing to leave their room.

The tour was pretty interesting, and I took several pictures of colorful birds and flowers I saw along the way. The most interesting thing, however, was the map we found leading to a secret a hut just a few miles away.

"I think we should go now," Sandra said excitedly.

I nervously rung my hands together.

"Maybe it's not such a good idea. I mean, maybe the person there doesn't want to be bothered."

"If they didn't want to be bothered, why would they just leave a map to their house in the middle of the jungle?" Sandra argued.

"They could have been lost and drawn it as a way to get back," Juliette suggested.

"I don't believe that for a second. I think we were meant to find it and go check this place out."

"You want to go now?" I asked alarmed.

"Yeah, Sandra, it's the middle of the night," Juliette said warily. 

"We can't just sit on this, and our vacation's almost over. We'll put it to a vote."

Juliette and I exchanged worried glances as Sandra headed back to the others.

Surprisingly the only one, other than Juliette and I, who didn't want to go was Dirk. I thought I could at least count on Marla to be level headed. Outvoted, we made our way into the unknown.
 
"There it is!" Sandra shouted excitedly.

"I change my mind," Jacob said, "I think we need to head back. What if we get murdered?"

"Murdered?" shrieked Marla.

Jules snorted,"Dudes, there's a payphone right there. If this place is so dangerous, would they have something that let us escape so easily?"

"What if it's a trap. The line could be dead," Dirk pointed out.

"You're all being ridiculous," Sandra whined, "If it'll make you feel better, I'll try the phone."

We waited anxiously for the verdict. After several of us checked, and heard a dial tone on the other end, we agreed that maybe this place wasn't exactly dangerous. Still, who knows who we could be meeting.

Sandra apparently had no fear, or no survival instincts whatsoever. She walked right into the house and greeted the strange man inside, all of us rushing to keep up with her.

After speaking together in hushed tons, the man left his house, and wandered away.

"Well," I trialed off nervously.

"He seems like a sweet guy. He said he'll give us a present if we repair his stuff.

"You've got to be kidding me," Jules growled in frustration, "I'm pretty sure he's just a con artist. What do you think JC?"

"I'm all for repairing his stuff if it gets us out of here faster," Juliette replied, "I'm still feeling uneasy about this place."

I agreed. Something about this didn't seem to sit well with me at all. Several of us got to work repairing the man's things.

"Okay, that was the last of it I think," Dirk said walking out of the house.

"Where did he go?" I asked Jacob and Marla, who conveniently stayed outside making out the whole time. Their excuse, Jacob needed comforted.

"Honestly, as soon as Sandra finished talking to him, he just went to sleep in that hammock over there," Marla said pointing to the far end of the lot.

Dirk rolled his eyes, "I think I agree with Jules for once. This guy is scamming us."

We all headed back inside, while we waited for the man to return.

"He was such a sweetheart," Sandra said for what seemed like the hundredth time, "I really don't think he's some scam artist." 

"Sandra, you know I love your optimism, but the guy told us to go repair his stuff, and then went to sleep in a hammock," Jules pointed out, again. 

We had been going over this for hours now.

The rest of us stood there awkwardly. It was either listen to Sandra, Jules, and Dirk debate on whether or not the man was a scammer, or watch Marla and Jacob be sickeningly sweet together. Neither one was a fun option.

Once the sun began to rise, the man eventually returned to his house.

"Thank you for cleaning my house. I bestow upon you a scared magical treasure. Use it wisely."

"I didn't even do anything," Marla said bewildered.

The man just shrugged, "Your friends did. Give it to one of them."

Finally we could leave. Breathing a sigh of relief, a began to follow the rest of my friends out of the house. I wished we had never found that map in the first place.

Before I could walk through the door, however, I felt someone touch my arm. It startled me so much, I almost jumped out of my skin. Turning around, I came face to face with the mysterious man.

"You look familiar," he said scanning my face.

"Um, I'm pretty sure we've never met," I replied unsure of what to say.

"What is your name."

"Ophelia Nigmos." 

I'm not really sure why I gave him my full name. That was probably a very stupid thing to do.

"Nigmos," he said as if pondering the name over in his head, "Were your parents Willow and Creon?"

I stood there for a moment shocked and very freaked out. He knew my parents?

"Um, yes. You met them?"

"I did many years ago. Your mother wanted my help. She was certain someone was trying to harm her and her family. I did what I could. I gave her the same gift I gave your friend, a voodoo doll, in the hopes that she would be able to use it to fend off whoever was after her. I also passed along a spell she could use. I hope she and your father are doing well."

I blinked back tears. Anger, confusion, and sadness all bubbling up inside me.

"They're dead."

"Oh," the man said in a somber tone, "I am very sorry for your loss. The seemed like wonderful people."

"They were."

With that, I walked out the door, my mind reeling. My parents, my mother more specifically, knew someone was after us. Was it Olive? What did he mean when he said he gave her a spell to use? Why didn't his suggestions work?

After the trek back from the man's hideout, it was night fall. Several of my friends gathered around joining in with a round of hula dancing.

I, however, was in no mood for dancing, or to be around people at all.

What the man said had really upset me. I was almost now more certain the ever that Olive killed my parents. How my mother new it was coming, I had no idea? It seemed that solving one question made room in my head for so many more.

I felt myself retreating. Sliding back into being the me before I left for uni. Like all of my hard work the last couple of years of learning to cope, had just been obliterated. 

"Can I join you?"

Juliette's voice startled me out of my thoughts for a moment, but I didn't move or say anything.

I could see her sit down next to me.

"Ophelia, are you okay?"

I laughed bitterly, "I'm far from okay."

"What happened? If you want, I'm here to talk about it."

I turned to her angrily, "No! The last thing I want to do is talk about it. This is something even you wouldn't understand. Now leave me the hell alone."

I choked out a sob. I just wanted to disappear, for the ocean to swallow me up whole. I regretted talking to her like that the moment the words left my mouth, but it's not like you can take things back once they've been said. Whatever, it was probably better this way. She didn't need me bringing her down.

My heart broke as I heard tears in her voice.

"Fine. If that's how you really feel, I'll go."

She looked at me one last time as if hoping I'd stop her. I should've stopped her, but I didn't.

I could hear her crying as she rushed away from me. What was wrong with me? I should've just told her. She wouldn't have thought any less of me, but no I had to mess up anything good in my life. I'm sure I'd lost her as a friend. I'm sure I'd lose all my friends now.

While I was ending our vacation feeling miserable, Jules and Sandra left on a high night. On the morning we were due to leave, Jules finally worked up the nerve to propose to Sandra.

As she knelt down on one knee, Sandra began freaking out.

"Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh, isthisreallyhappening."

"Breathe," Jules laughed, "One of us needs to. Yes this is really happening. Sandra Roth, will you marry me, and make me the happiest woman alive?"

Sandra squealed, happy tears forming in her eyes. She leapt into Jules's arms, nearly knocking her over.

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!"

Shortly afterwards, we were heading to a taxi that would take  us to the airport and back "home" to Academie le Tour, if I could even call it that.

I sat next to Juliette on the ride home but didn't say anything. To my surprise, she didn't seem mad, but she didn't really try and talk to me either. I rested my head against the window, trying to force myself to sleep and tune out the world around me. 

I didn't think things could get worse than they were at Twikkii, but I was utterly and completely wrong. 

When we arrived home, Dustin decided to whip up some spaghetti, but leaving the stove unattended for too long lead to a fire. The fire quickly spread, engulfing our tiny kitchen up in flames. The smoke made it impossible to see what was going on, and our little world descended into chaos. 

Someone managed to grab a fire extinguisher, and clear out the worst of the flames, but I felt a chill in the air. A pit in my stomach formed as I saw the Grim Reaper standing there. 

Oh god, why did someone have to die? Why did anyone die? I quickly took stock of who was in the room and a pit formed in my stomach. Juliette was nowhere to be seen. I remember how she told me that her own parents had perished in a fire, for their daughter to have the suffer the same fate...

No, I wouldn't let it happen.

My mind was taken back to when my parents died. I had been too young to plead then and had to helplessly look on as they were taken away from me.  Now I was older. Maybe, just maybe, I could make a difference.       
                                       
The Grim Reaper was a tricky sort. In order to win Juliette back, I had to play a game. Of course, his game. He had a glowing white light in one hand. I just had to figure out which hand held the light, after he scrambled them behind his back of course.

I watched, desperately trying to trace his movements. When the moment of truth came, I waited with baited breath as I chose a hand. He slowly revealed it and...there was light! I had managed to save Juliette's life.

A huge mixture of emotions washed over me. I was laughing and crying at the same time. I wouldn't waste my new found time with her. I would tell her what the strange man in Twikkii had revealed to me. I wasn't going to take one second for granted.

While I was saving Juliette, the fire continued to rage, despite our best efforts to put it out. Dustin, Dirk, and Jules were also caught in the flames. In the end, Dirk didn't make it out. My heart sunk again. 

Dirk's mother had also perished in a fire. Was fate that cruel to make not one but two children possibly suffer the same plight as their parents had?

Dustin was on his knees in an instant. Begging and pleading with the reaper to let Dirk live. Their new relationship was just blossoming, they had just gotten their friendship back on track, Dirk had so much life left to live.

Dustin was forced to play the same game I was, only he wasn't as lucky. He chose a hand, and he chose wrong. Dustin stared at the Grim Reaper in horror. Death had to be completely heartless and unfeeling as he let out a cruel laugh and vanished from our home.

"Juliette, are you okay? Of course you're not okay. I'm sorry for everything, but now you're back, and we're going to get Dirk back too."

I turned to her to see a look of rage on her face. In all of our time together, I had never seen her get that angry.

"No, I'm not okay at all. I almost died. My family almost lost another member, and on top of that our friend is dead Ophelia. Dead!"

"I-I know, but we're going to get him back," I said through tears.

"How? He's gone, and we're just left here to accept it, but I can't," she said angrily.

"There has to be some way."

"If there was a way to get Dirk back, don't you think you would have used it to get your parents back? Don't you think I would have used to get mine?" she asked choking back a sob.

I just stood there in silence. She was right, of course. Still, I just couldn't accept the fact he was gone. He just couldn't be.

"We're going to get him back Dustin," Jules said awkwardly. 

She wasn't the best at dealing with these kinds of things, but she was probably Dustin's closest friend in the house after Dirk.

"You all keep saying that," he spat angrily, "but what exactly are you going to do? You can't turn back time! Now I'm going to have to see Dirk's father and tell him he lost his son. Do you have any idea how hard that's going to be? He'll be all alone now!"

"I-"

Dirk quick spun around and turned to me.

"You," he said poking me in the chest, "This is all your fault."

"H-how is this my fault?" I asked.

I certainly felt like it was my fault, but there was a logical part of my brain, no matter how small it was at this moment, telling me there really wasn't anything I could have done.

"You didn't plead! You left it up to me. You have some kind of magic powers or something because you got Juliette back, but I didn't get Dirk back. Maybe if you would've been the one to plead, Dirk would be here right now."

"Dustin, I don't think it would've mattered. It was a game of chance," I stuttered.

"What, and you're so lucky that you deserved to bring someone back, and I didn't?"

I ran upstairs before he could yell at me any further. So much had happened in the past two days, and I just couldn't handle it. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.

When I got upstairs, I found Juliette there blocking my path.

I couldn't deal with anything else tonight. I just couldn't.

"Juliette, please, I just want to go to sleep," I pleaded with her.

"I just want to ask you one thing, and I'll leave you alone. After all, you do still want to be left alone don't you?" she asked arching an eyebrow at me.

"No, I never should've treated you that way."

"No, you shouldn't have, but you were upset, and now we're all upset. I just want to know, after what happened back on the beach, why did you even bother to save me?"

"Juliette," I gasped in horror, "What kind of question is that? I care about you so much. So much more than you'll ever know.

 I was upset yesterday, and I just didn't want to talk. It didn't mean I wanted you out of my life completely, let alone dead! 

I would have saved anyone, but I care about you too much to lose you. I couldn't lose someone else that I loved," I choked out.

"You love me?" she was clearly shocked.

"I, I mean, yes. I didn't mean for it to come out like that, but yes."

"You know, that's what I wanted to talk to you about, yesterday at the beach I mean. I wanted to tell you how I felt about you. I guess I know now it wasn't one sided."

Her voice was tiny.

She continued to speak, "You know sometimes I think I should've died with my parents in that fire. Why did I deserve to live, but they didn't? Why did I deserved to be saved again, but not Dirk?"

She dissolved into tears, her whole body shaking.

I held her close. In any other circumstance, I would've been elated that she returned my feelings, but now my brain wasn't even really registering it.

"You deserve to live Juliette," I said crying myself now, "We both do. I wondered that same thing so many times after my parents died. I still wonder it now too, just like you, but n-neither of us, neither of deserved to die. Not then and not now."

"B-but what about Dirk," she stammered.

"We'll find a way. I'll do all the research I can, and I'll find a way to at least bring him back."

We spent a lot of time just holding each other crying. Sometimes, death just doesn't get easier. Time doesn't really heal all wounds, it just hides them for a while.

I don't know what time it was when I finally went to sleep, but as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was out. I went to sleep with a heavy heart but also with determination. I would find a way to get Dirk back.

I spent a lot of time to myself during those days. I knew it wasn't my fault, and so did everyone else, but it didn't erase the guilt I carried, and the hurt and anger Dustin understandably felt.

Eating breakfast overlooking Dirk's grave was a little unnerving, even though I spent several years growing up with a cemetery in my backyard, but I ate out there to keep him company. I liked to think that somehow he knew we would find a way to bring him back.

The spectral figure I saw resembling Dirk, well I had to tell myself that was my exhausted mind playing horrible tricks on me. That's what I always told myself at Olive's, when I stayed up too late night after night due to the ghosts' wailing. That they weren't really there. I'm not sure if I really believed it, but I had to force myself to in hopes of keeping my sanity both then and now.

Dustin spent a lot of his time at Dirk's grave, his moods fluctuating between anger and sorrow. Why did Dirk have to be taken away? Dustin was angry at him for leaving, angry at himself for not watching the stove better, and angry at the Grim Reaper for not giving Dirk a second chance.

Dirk's death actually brought Angela and Dustin closer together. As he had been a friend to them both, they would often stay on the phone for hours, sometimes reminiscing about the good times, sometimes sharing their grief.
 
It took countless hours of scouring the library and internet, but I finally found a way to bring Dirk back. There were a handful of ways to bring others back from the dead. The knowledge was buried in old tomes and on the dark web, but I was willing to do whatever it took.

I was left with four options: somehow find a witch and get them to teach me their ways, so I could study to learn a resurrection spell, find a magical lamp, join the Paranormal career after graduation, or hope to get into the secret society on campus and gain access to their resurrection phone. As I had no idea where to find a witch or a lamp, and waiting until I finished university was not an option, I went in search of the secret society members.

I was completely out of my comfort zone, but it I managed to persevere. I wanted my friend back, and I was willing to do whatever it took. Surprisingly, the secret society members weren't too hard to find. The walked around wearing their uniforms. It didn't seem like the society was really all the secret. I just hoped it wasn't some kind of cult.

After spending several hours each day at the student center, I was tentatively confident enough that I had met enough members to get inducted. Now all I had to do was wait.

My relationship with Juliette had been complicated ever since that horrible night. We both knew we had strong feelings for each other, but it didn't seem like the right time to act on them. On the other hand, losing Dirk made us both realize how precious time was. We started casually dating, as neither of us felt right beginning a relationship while Dirk was gone.

"I think I did it Juliette. I think we're going to get him back."

She smiled softly at me.

"That's incredible Ophelia. I really hope you're right."

I bit my lip nervously.

"I hope so too. Maybe just keep this between the two of us until I know for sure?"

"Of course."

During my research, I had also come across the dangers of resurrecting people. Sometimes, things when wrong when someone died. Their soul and very being became shredded, corrupted, and they were unable to come back without extreme consequences. It seemed the longer a person had been gone, the more likely this was to happen. It was devastating for both of us to learn it would most likely not be safe to get our parents back. I just hoped I was in time to resurrect Dirk before the same thing happened to him.

It didn't take long before the society decided to drag me off. I had my finals soon, but I honestly didn't care. If I had to choose between staying an extra semester and bringing my friend back to life, well the choice was easy.

What really surprised me was that no one seemed to really notice that I was being handcuffed and shoved into a limo. At least Juliette could possibly figure out what happened to me if something went wrong.

Was all that really necessary anyway? What had I gotten myself into?

A short drive later, and I had arrived at Academie le Tour's secret society building. Several of the members greeted me cheerfully.

 I was even given a uniform of my own. Apparently it was part of their guidelines that you had to wear the uniform when visiting the society. I wasted no time in shrugging on my new clothes. I felt guilty for using them to get Dirk back, but this was one of the few times I was going to allow myself to be selfish.

As I walked inside, I was surprised to see the resurrection phone in the main room. This seemed almost too good to be true.

Nervously, I picked up the phone.

"This is the Grim Reaper. Who are you looking to resurrect?"

His voice boomed menacingly on the other end.

"Dirk Dreamer."

"And how much are you willing to pay?"

"As much as it takes."

I wasn't going to take any chances that things could go wrong. I transferred a third of our household funds to the Grim Reaper. I'm not sure how he'd get the money, but I wasn't too concerned with the logistics.

"That is quite the generous offer. As a thank you, I will allow Dirk Dreamer to return to the land of living exactly how he was."

My heart beat nervously as a cloud of green smoke appeared. I could just make out a figure inside. Here it was, the moment of truth.

As the smoke cleared, I saw Dirk with a huge grin on his face.

"I have no idea what happened, or how you pulled this off, but I'm alive."

Dirk jumped in the air, giddy with excitement.

"You're back!" I exclaimed, a relieved smile slowly spreading across my face.

"Back and better than ever," he said pulling me into a hug.

"Dirk, I'm so sorry we weren't able to save you."

He pulled me into a hug.

"It's okay Ophelia. It's not your fault. It's not anyone's really. I just can't believe you brought me back."

Happy tears began to fall down my cheeks.

"You're my friend. Of course I had to get you back."

"How long was I gone?" he asked nervously.

"A little over a semester."

"Well, it looks like Jules will have someone to keep her company, then."

"How are you so positive right now?"

"I'm just happy to be alive. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go see my dad. He deserves to know that his only son is alive and well."

"Of course," I said smiling, "I'm sure your dad will be thrilled."

I couldn't even begin to imagine the joy Dirk's father would feel at having his son back. To lose someone and then have them miraculously come back into  your life was truly a gift.

As Dirk left to visit his dad, I rushed off to my exams. Though I got there late, I still manged to get a decent score and move on to the next semester.

Dirk didn't stay with his dad for too long, as he had someone else he really needed to see.

"Hey Dustin," Dirk called out.

Dustin froze, unsure if the voice he was hearing was real. As he turned around and saw Dirk, he ran up to him and embraced him.

"You're back. I can't? How?" 

He squeezed Dirk tightly, afraid if he let him go he'd vanish in thin air.

"Ophelia found a way to bring me back. I'm not sure how exactly. Some weird phone, but I'm back now, for good."

Dustin swallowed the lump in his throat.

"It's been hell. I thought I lost you for good, and all because I was an idiot and didn't pay attention to my cooking. If I truly lost you, God Dirk I don't know what I would've done."

"It's not your fault Dustin," Dirk said comfortingly, "It could've happened to anyone."

He gently rubbed Dustin's back in a soothing motion.

"I'm back, and I'm not going anywhere."

Dustin let go of Dirk, and knelt down on one knee.

"Dirk, losing you, and now getting you back, it's made me realize how precious our time is. I don't want to go another day without you in my life. Losing you was like living in my own personal hell. We've had our ups and downs recently, but I love you so much. Will you marry me?"

Dirk blinked in surprise.

"Dustin, are you sure? I don't want this to be another heat of the moment thing."

"I'm positive Dirk. I love you so damn much, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Dirk grinned.

"I'd be honored to be your husband."


The two embraced each other, too afraid to let the other go.

"You know," Dustin said sheepishly, "I don't actually have a ring right now."

"I don't care," Dirk replied softly, "I don't need a ring to know I'm gong to spend the rest of my life with the man I love."

"Still, I think we should go pick one out sometime."

"I'd love that."

After sharing a tender moment with Dustin, Dirk walked into the house to greet the rest of our friends.

Sandra just about screamed when she saw him.

"Dirk! I can't believe you're really here!"

Dirk smiled, getting used to that reaction.

"Well, here I am in the flesh."

"This is just like the best thing ever," Sandra said excitedly.

Even Jules smiled.

"It looks like the whole gang is back together again."

While they chatted with Dirk, Juliette and I stood off to the side. She gently cupped my face.

"You did it Ophelia. You're absolutely incredible, you know that? You went out of your comfort zone, and put a lot on the line to get Dirk back. I'm so proud of you."

Heat rose to my cheeks.

"I'm not that amazing. I just did what anyone would do. It's probably corny, but you all feel like family to me. I couldn't lose another member of my family. Does that make me selfish?"

"If it makes you selfish, then I'm selfish too."

Later on, we joined Dirk in the hot tub. Juliette snuggled close to me, wrapping her arms around me.

"So," Dirk said with an inquisitive glance towards us, "Are you too a thing now?"

I looked in Juliette's eyes, only to see her stare lovingly back at me.

"Yeah," I said with a smile, "We are."

"I guess I missed a lot while I was gone," he said.

"I promise we'll fill you in," Juliette said with a smile, "Between the six of us, I'm sure it'll feel like you never left.

With Dirk back, things settled back into a normal routine. We were approaching senior year, so we all were working hard on our studies. It was time to really buckle down and prepare for life after uni.

That didn't mean we didn't have to time to enjoy ourselves. Ever since our confession in the hot tub, Juliette and I had been closer than ever. We officially started dating, and I felt like I was walking on air. I didn't know it was possible to be this happy. 

My past relationship with Johnny had felt nothing like this. There was no anxiety, no pretending or feeling like I didn't deserve to feel happy, to have something wonderful in my life. I could talk to Juliette about anything. 

I even opened up to her about what the mysterious man told me. She, like me was concerned for what exactly it meant for my family and me. 

She was there for me when my thoughts became too dark and clouded, and was able to stop me from retreating in on myself. When I had a bad day, she also understood. After all, even when you learn to cope with your trauma, not every day is perfect. In turn, I was there for her as well. We both had dark days, days when thoughts that would horrify most others would creep in. The thing about having someone who went through the same experience, is that we understood each other. We could freely admit our thoughts, and though we worried about each other, there was also a sense of profound understanding. She was my best friend.

My best friend with the added bonus of being my girlfriend as well. I think that's what made this relationship different too. We were friends above all else. The romantic side was just a wonderful bonus. 

We definitely went through a bit of a honeymoon phase where we couldn't keep our hands off of each other. Honestly, a part of me hoped that never ended. Being with her just made me feel so warm and happy inside. I never wanted this feeling to end.

Before we began our final semester, we threw a let's celebrate finishing uni slash Dirk is alive again party. After all, coming back from the dead was definitely something to celebrate!

Juliette decided to invite her sister Hermia to the party, so I could start to get to now her family. I admit, I was completely terrified at the thought. What if she hated me? Juliette introduced me to her, and then left to give us some time to talk alone.

"So you're the Ophelia I've been hearing so much about. My sister is completely head over heels for  you."

"I feel the same way about her," I said smiling nervously, "Juliette is an absolutely incredible person. I'm so thankful I met her. She's made my life so much brighter."

"I have to admit, I was skeptical at first. Juliette has a habit of being a bit of a hopeless romantic. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what a disaster her last relationship was."

"No you don't. I promise, I'm nothing like Romeo. I love your sister and would never do anything to hurt her. She's been so incredibly supportive, and I try my best to be there for her in return."

Hermia laughed a little, "Oh, I don't think anyone can be as bad as Romeo. Still, you do seem to really care about my sister. She's told me all about how understanding you've been with her."

Hermia smiled sadly.

"As awful as it may sound, I'm glad she found someone who understands her and who isn't going to take advantage of her. I know you lost your parents as well, so you know what she's going through. Unlike Romeo, you seem to actually care."

"I do care, so much. I love her."

I still felt strange saying that out loud, at least to someone else. Juliette and I had told each other we loved one another so many times.

"I believe you. My sister's lucky to have someone like you in her life."

With that, Hermia went to go find Juliette. I hoped she approved of me.

"So, what's the verdict," Juliette asked her sister, "I she 'good enough' for me."

Hermia rolled her eyes, "I know I might seem judgmental of your relationships and crushes you've had in the past, but I'm just looking out for you."

"I know, and I appreciate it. Just know I'm going to do a proper screening of whoever you decide to date as well."

"I wouldn't expect anything less. As for what I think of Ophelia, she seems sweet. I can definitely tell she cares about you, unlike that jerk Romeo. She has the official Hermia stamp of approval."

Juliette pulled her sister into a hug.

"I'm so happy you like her!"

"I do. Have you told grandpa about her yet?"

"I have mentioned her to him on the phone, yes. I'm honestly terrified for him to meet her. You know how intense he can be."

Hermia gave her sister a rueful look.

"He's definitely not going to be as easy to win over as I was. Tybalt too. At least she's not a Monty. She has that going for her."

Juliette sighed.

"I really wish this ridiculous feud would end."

"Me too. I've been trying to play nice with the Monty's, but it's hard with Tybalt and grandpa around. Maybe one day we can end this thing for good."

"Maybe. I just hope no one else gets hurt in the process," Juliette said sadly.

I paced around the room nervously, waiting for Juliette to rejoin me.

"So..." I trailed off nervously.

"Hermia really likes you! I just knew she would."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm glad I at least have your sister's approval."

Juliette giggled.

"You make us sound so old fashioned."

"Well you are a bit old fashioned, aren't you?"

"I suppose your right. My family does love tradition."

She hugged me tightly.

"I just know the rest of my family will love you as much as I do."

I bit my lip nervously.

"I sure hope so."

Unfortunately, our party didn't get to last as long as we would have hoped. Apparently one of our neighbors filled a noise complaint, and the cops showed up to shut the party down. Still, we had a good time, and I felt a little relieved that at least one member of Juliette's family liked me.

As our last finals grew closer, Juliette and I decided to take a break and go on a date. I decided to surprise her with something I hoped would be fun.

"An arcade?" she said in shock.

"It's not too silly, is it?" I asked nervously.

"Not at all!"

Her face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning.

"I haven't been to an arcade since I was little. How do you always know what I need?"

"Lucky guess?" I said laughing.

We proceeded to take turns playing pinball. Juliette thoroughly kicked my butt. After playing over ten rounds, I gave up and conceded that she was the pinball master.

Being the pinball master earned her a special kiss.

I stroked her cheek, gently.

"I hope you've had fun today."

"You mean you hope I've had fun showing off my awesome gaming skills?"

I smiled, "I didn't know you were so good at video games."

"Just one of the few secrets I've managed to keep from you."

"Are there anymore secrets I don't know about?"

"All good ones," she said reassuringly.

We finished off the day with a round of darts. Unsurprisingly, Juliette managed to win at that as well. I wondered if she secretly trained with some kind of games master.

As we prepared to head home, someone caught my eye. Someone I never thought I'd see again.

"Um, can you excuse me for a second. I think I see one of my old friends from Strangetown."

"Are you just trying to distract me, so you can win?"

"No, I-I'm being serious."

Juliette looked at me concerned.

"It's not Johnny is it?"

"No, not Johnny. Someone I was friends with long before him."

"Are you going to be okay? I can come with you for back up," she said gently.

"No. I think I need to talk to him on my own."

"I'll be here waiting. Text me if you need help."

I smiled, so grateful for her.

"Deal."

As I followed the man I believed to be my former friend, I begin to feel my nerves rising. Digging my fingers into my palms, I steeled myself with resolve. If this really was Ripp, I needed to talk to him. 

It turned out I was right. As soon as Ripp saw me, he surprised me by pulling me in for a hug.

"Ophelia? I can't believe it's really you!"

He actually seemed excited to see me.

"Yeah, it's me," I said quietly.

"There's no need to be nervous around me. We're old friends," Ripp said.

"Are we?"

"Yeah, we are. Can I just apologize for how I treated you when we were younger. It was a crappy thing to do. I know you didn't have anything to do with my mom's death. I was just, well a part of me thought she would come back. I was in shock to know I'd never see her again. I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"Apology accepted. I know how horrible that must have been to discover that your mom had been in my backyard the whole time. That just sounds so creepy to say. Olive was, well is a monster."

"Well, I see you got away from her."

"I did," I said, a tentative smile forming, "What about you? Did you manage to escape the general?"

"Kinda," he said making a face, "Buck and I moved out. I'm still in Strangetown, but at least I'm away from him and Tank."

Ripp filled me in on what he had been up to the past few years. He and Buck had bought a small house as far away from their father as possible. Buck worked with animals, while Ripp was still working his job at the gas station. They had adopted a dog, that was mainly Buck's. Buck also started dating Jill, Johnny's younger sister. According to Ripp, she practically lived with them. It was nice to see that he was happy.

I filled him in on everything that had happened to me. His eyes almost popped out of his head when I told him about some of the things that took place. I didn't blame him. If I wasn't there to witness them, I would probably have a hard time believing them myself.

"So, it looks like we both manged to find a fresh start," he said, after we finished catching up.

"Yeah, looks like it."

"I'm happy for you Ophelia, I really am. You deserve nothing but the best after all the crap you've been through. Oh, and Ophelia?"

"Yeah," I responded.

"Don't forget to invite me to the wedding."

"Wedding? What wedding?"

"C'mon," He said playfully, "I know you and that Juliette girl are going to get married."

"Well, if we do, you'll be the first one to know," I said smiling. I really hoped we would. I could easily see myself spending the rest of my life with her.

"It was great catching up with you," he said, "See you around?"

"See you around Ripp."

I felt even lighter. Little by little, I was starting to feel whole again. Knowing that Ripp and I made amends made me feel content. It was nice to have my old friend back.

Juliette and I spent our last few hours before exams started snuggling, looking up at the clouds.

"Can you believe we're about to graduate?" she asked.

"Honestly, no. It seems like just yesterday I showed up here scared out of my mind. At the same time it seems like so long ago too. I feel like a different person."

"I'm so glad we met," Juliette said warmly.

"Me too. I can't imagine my life without you. To think I was scared to meet you too."

"I'm glad I didn't intimidate you."

"Juliette, you're the sweetest, least intimidating person I know."

"No you're the sweetest," she said.

We went back and forth like that, giggling and enjoying each other's company.

A few hours later, and we were officially finished with exams. All of us passed, and those of us who were in our final semester prepared to graduate.

"I can't believe it's over already. I'm going to miss  you all bunches," Sandra said.

"We're planning on moving to Riverblossom Hills, so we'll see you around," Juliette replied comfortingly.

"We have to get together like everyday. I don't know what I'll do without you guys."

I smiled to myself. I thought of my first impressions of everyone, of how I wanted to stick to myself and just get through uni. Now I couldn't imagine life without my friends.

It was time to celebrate. I was actually excited to throw a party this time. I was proud of all I accomplished during my time at uni. Sure there were ups and downs, but I was a happier person now. I was ready to start helping others who where struggling with their mental health, too. I wasn't perfect, but I had learned so much about myself and how to live with my struggles. I just hoped that I could pass that knowledge onto others that needed it.

Juliette pulled me aside as the party was winding down.

"Hey, there's my favorite graduate. I have to admit you look stunning in your graduation robes."

I rolled my eyes.

"That's a little much even from you. I feel like I'm wearing a potato sack."

"You'd look beautiful in anything."

She always knew how to fluster me.

"I've been looking for you because I have an important question to ask you."

My heart started beating rapidly. Could it be?

"Ophelia, I never thought I'd find someone who'd understand me the way you do. Someone who's so warm an compassionate, who's willing to do anything for the people she loves. I admire your strength. You're such an incredible woman. Would you do me the honor of being my wife?"

"Yes, Juliette! Yes! When I started out my journey here, I never thought I'd meet someone like you. You're so kind and loving, and you make me feel safe and loved. You're my best friend, and I'd love to spend the rest of my life with you."

I couldn't help myself, I flung myself into her arms.

"I love you so much Juliette."

"I love you too. You just made me the happiest woman in the whole universe."

"The universe?"

"Yes, that's how special you are to me Ophelia."

I gave her a lingering kiss. Never in a million years did I expect my life to turn out this, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I couldn't wait to begin my life with Juliette. My future after uni was starting to  look even brighter.

Before I left, Dustin nervously approached me.

"Ophelia, I just wanted to apologize for the way I reacted the day Dirk died. I know it's long overdue. I apparently suck at apologizing. The truth is, I blamed myself for not paying more attention to the stove. I didn't want to admit though, so I took my anger out on you. You didn't deserve that, and you brought Dirk back to me, which I'll be thankful for everyday. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

Dustin was a complicated person, but he was my friend.

"Dustin, I forgive you. We were all upset that day. What happened to Dirk was horrible, but it wasn't your fault. I never blamed you for how you reacted. We all handle grief in different ways."

"I hope one day I have an ounce of the compassion you have. I don't know that I would've forgiven me if I was in your shoes," Dustin said.

"You're my friend," I said smiling, "And for the record, you're kinder than you think."

All too soon, it was time for me to officially graduate and leave my uni life behind. I wasn't sure what the future had in store for me, but I hoped it would continue to bring positive things. I waved goodbye to my friends, and called a cab to Riverblossom Hills. Sandra invited me to stay with her family until Juliette and I were able to find a house of our own. Though I politely declined, it was nice to know that our friendship would still continue after uni.

After I left, Juliette packed up her things and prepared to graduate herself. However, she had a surprise visitor in the form of her grandfather.

"I'm so excited I graduated!" she said rushing up to hug him.

He awkwardly hugged her back.

"Well, I should hope you graduated. It shouldn't have been too hard at a second rate school like this."

"What are you talking about," she asked frowning, "Academie le Tour is an excellent school."

He stared at her with an unreadable expression on his face.

"I'm glad you studied practical, such as economics. Does this mean you're reconsidering running the family business?"

Juliette sighed.

"Grandpa, I already told you, I want to go into music. Hermia is doing an excellent job running the business, and she actually wants to."

He scowled.

"Be that as it may, you need to give up this silly dream of yours. You are the rightful heiress. I'll have your things shipped back to the manor, and we can discuss this later. I also trust you'll allow me to finally meet the woman you intend to marry? I hope she has more practical dreams than you do."

"It's not a silly dream," Juliette replied angrily, "I am going to be in a band. My music professors said I showed a lot of promise. As for Ophelia, she's planning on being a psychiatrist, which should be 'practical' enough for you."

"I don't like the tone you're taking with me. I'm glad to see you had the sense to marry someone who will bring in money."

"I'm marrying her because I love her, not because she'll have a well paying job. As for moving back to the Capp manor, that's not going to happen. Ophelia and I are going to live in Riverblossom Hills."

Consort snapped, all pretenses of understanding falling away.

"You will do no such thing. I expect you and this woman to be at the Capp Manor tomorrow morning. Do I make myself clear?"

Juliette sighed dejectedly, "Yes grandpa."

2 comments:

  1. Whew, that was quite a ride. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The last two years of uni were certainly eventful! Hopefully things will calm down some after Juliette gets out of this mess with her gradnfather.

      Delete